Is the ATV3 WIFI going bad, or is this a setup issue

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by brianlbaker, May 5, 2015.

1. brianlbaker macrumors member

brianlbaker

I recently purchased an Airport Extreme, and upgraded my ATT Uverse wifi (no cable) to 24 mbs (this required a new router/wifi box from ATT as well). The Cat 5 goes into the ATT box, and out, through the house, to the extreme, that has a different network name. The ATV is then connected via wifi, and HDMI to the TV.

Ever since this "upgrade" the shows I watch on the ATV3, from Netflix, Hulu, and HBO NOW, all randomly stop, rebuffer (I assume), and then restart. It seems to happen every 15-20 minutes.

While it is rebuffering last night, I did a speed test with an app on my iPhone, and it is showing strong download speeds - more than I am paying for, frankly.

This leads me to think the problem lies in the wifi connection between the ATV3 and the extreme, or, there is a setup issue that I am missing.

My wife's Mac Book has been having issues opening webpages during this time, as well.

There were issues with Netflix, prior to the speed upgrade, but now it is affecting more?

Any ideas? What am I missing?

2. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

Does your AppleTV serial number fall within the faulty wifi batch?

3. brianlbaker thread starter macrumors member

brianlbaker

I am unaware of a faulty wifi batch. More information, please?

4. bliggs macrumors regular

bliggs

5. brianlbaker thread starter macrumors member

brianlbaker

Thank you for that. Unfortunately, my serial # doesn't fit into that group.

I called apple support, and they suggested rebooting the Extreme, first, and, shockingly, that seemed to eliminate the issue, for now, anyway.

I remain suspicious. :)