Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

welshboyuk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
I’ve spent few hours now reading forums and watching YT reviews, but for my workload I’m thinking the base model will suit me, I don’t transfer large files most is on the cloud.

I’d be a new Mac person, currently work off a windows laptop, I mostly do website tabs, drum software, watch YouTube videos , the odd MS teams call / 365 etc , not what I’d call heavy workloads. I’m thinking I could get away with the base model then upgrade in year or two should my needs increase.

Is the base really that bad that it should be a straight no no?

JW5566

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2021
Is the base really that bad

It's not bad at all, it's a stunning machine. However with YouTube videos the reviewers are just comparing it mainly to higher spec configurations so obviously in comparison it's not as good.

I remember when I got my Intel MacBook Air (2020) in base specs and was blown away by it after coming from an older MacBook Pro. I've thrown everything at it including 4K video editing and it's worked well. Of course we can all do with more power but for the general user, the base specs are fine.

And if you're new to Macs I think you will be pleasantly surprised. There was no going back to Windows laptops for me, just the Mac's trackpad alone is a joy to work with.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
If you never watched the click bait reviews and just bought one and used it, you wouldn’t have any complaints at all about it. I don’t blame you for trying to do your research and getting sucked into the negativity but unfortunately the YouTubers have to make money. Don’t make a lot of money and get lots of clicks just saying the m2 air is a fine upgrade and would suit most people.

The M1 got lots of reviews and clicks because of it was a revolutionary upgrade over the old x86 intel tech, lots to talk about. This year they had to create more hype and drama to keep the views and cash rolling in.

The 256gb decisions my apple was a crappy one to make, but not to the point of boiling over like it has. Just ridiculous at this point

Nicole1980

Suspended
Mar 19, 2010
If you never watched the click bait reviews and just bought one and used it, you wouldn’t have any complaints at all about it. I don’t blame you for trying to do your research and getting sucked into the negativity but unfortunately the YouTubers have to make money. Don’t make a lot of money and get lots of clicks just saying the m2 air is a fine upgrade and would suit most people.

The M1 got lots of reviews and clicks because of it was a revolutionary upgrade over the old x86 intel tech, lots to talk about. This year they had to create more hype and drama to keep the views and cash rolling in.

The 256gb decisions my apple was a crappy one to make, but not to the point of boiling over like it has. Just ridiculous at this point
Still, the ssd speed does take a hit with the base model compared to ANY other model.

That means when you're cringing at the prices of the higher storage models, you need to factor that in. Any higher model gives you more 'bang for the buck' in that regard.
Normally, getting the higher storage model is just a simple matter of size, but now SPEED is an extra bonus when going for anything above the base model.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Still, the ssd speed does take a hit with the base model compared to ANY other model.

That means when you're cringing at the prices of the higher storage models, you need to factor that in. Any higher model gives you more 'bang for the buck' in that regard.
Normally, getting the higher storage model is just a simple matter of size, but now SPEED is an extra bonus when going for anything above the base model.
And if you listen and watch reviewers using it for real world stuff, not just benchmarks, it’s really not a huge issue at all unless you spend many hours transferring large files around. Even then, if going to an external drive, you’re limited to the speed of that drive as well.

Nicole1980

Suspended
Mar 19, 2010
And if you listen and watch reviewers using it for real world stuff, not just benchmarks, it’s really not a huge issue at all unless you spend many hours transferring large files around. Even then, if going to an external drive, you’re limited to the speed of that drive as well.
True. Just saying that the price for a storage upgrade now includes the so-called 'advantage' of being faster.

Not here to debate whether than speed matters to yours, or anyone elses use case ... but it is something you get when you pay for a storage upgrade.

That's something that in previous generations of mac models was not a consideration whatsoever. A storage upgrade was only that: An upgrade in the amount of stuff your drive could store - and had nothing to do with the overall speed of the computer LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

DD88

Suspended
Jun 6, 2022
I guarantee the base model of the M1 air and M2 air are easily powerful and good enough for most users and by most I’d say 80% who just want it to browse the web, use social media, writing and doing light work on it. I got caught into the trap of thinking I needed a mega powerful MacBook or MacBook Pro when in reality even the base air M1 would be more than sufficient for me. I think it’s wise to get more RAM but even 8GB is fine for most. People who possible say it’s bad are power users who just know it’s not sufficient enough for them before they even use it then suggest you “future proof“ it by speccing it out to the max when it’s not even needed. The people who probably get these models sent to them from apple for free

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Based upon your usage I would think it would be great for you. My base works fine for me after 10 days. Fast, with no heat or other problems. It really depends upon your usage
When just browsing and YouTubing do you feel heat on the bottom? I’m totally spoiled with my 14 m1. Rarely warm.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Right now the problem with the Base M2 MBA is that not only is it a premium over the M1 MBA, which does not have the single SSD problem that the base M2 has and is typically discounted on Amazon. So unless you have access to Educational pricing I would recommend that you get the M1 MBA from Amazon at a discount rather than paying full price for the M2. If you are not budget constrained then get the M2 with 512GB SSD.

Nicole1980

Suspended
Mar 19, 2010
If you are not budget constrained then get the M2 with 512GB SSD.
This. Because in this very unique situation, a small storage gain also gives you a speed gain - esstentially for free. It's a no brainer if you can squeeze the few extra $$ out of your credit limit.

And that's regardless of whether you think that extra speed will matter to you or not. One day, it might. Who knows. point is ---- it comes FREE with a minor storage upgrade.

gmanjeff

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2019
When just browsing and YouTubing do you feel heat on the bottom? I’m totally spoiled with my 14 m1. Rarely warm.
I have the 14 M1 pro and love the power, but not the bulk. Also bought the MBA M2, w/ 512GB SSD. Really love the usual Apple build quality without the heft. Stays as cool as my 14 while web browsing, YouTubing, MS 365, etc. YMMV.

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
it's not bad but imho the mba m1 is cheaper and better in some ways.and for the same price you could get 16gb of ram whilst keeping the faster ssd for even more background and foreground processes which is rather comfortable

that said,for a pure screen experience,the m2 looks better and more futurstic

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
it's not bad but imho the mba m1 is cheaper and better in some ways.and for the same price you could get 16gb of ram whilst keeping the faster ssd for even more background and foreground processes which is rather comfortable

For what the OP will be doing, I doubt he would be able to say the M1 MBA is better in some ways. Honestly, I can't think of any way the M1 is better outside of price.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada

Besides the 256gb ssd being better for synthetic benchmarks, what else is is actually better than the m2?

calstanford

Suspended
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
If buying the base model I'd much rather go for the M1, get slightly slower CPU, much faster SSD, bit better battery life for $200 less.

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
For what the OP will be doing, I doubt he would be able to say the M1 MBA is better in some ways. Honestly, I can't think of any way the M1 is better outside of price.
From the tests I've seen the M1 still looks more responsive

Ms office + bunch of tabs ,drums and other background stuff can bloat the system quite fast ,and the faster SSD definitely helps with swap(+dor thé same price u could get 16gn m1)

Besides ,m1 is cooler which is quite comfortable imo.i didn't enjoy the 14 as much as the MBA because of heat lol .

• Haha
Reactions: jdb8167

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
Besides the 256gb ssd being better for synthetic benchmarks, what else is is actually better than the m2?
Assuming we talk same base model and not equivalently priced m1 with 16gb?

Well, swap with faster SSD does make the difference it seems

M1 is cooler

Obviously cheaper

And I didn't say it's intrinsically better (i may think so but I did not say it lol)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.