is the big boss repo down?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Gavernty, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Gavernty macrumors 6502

I'm getting a gpg error for a big boss source

also when searching for sbsettings on my friends iphone nothing is coming up in cydia.... hmm?

2. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

3. Gavernty thread starter macrumors 6502

ah ok sorry for the pointless thread then

I'm learning :)

4. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

5. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

No problem. It's either bigboss is down, modmyi is down or Cydia won't accept payments. And people complain about Rock. :rolleyes:

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wahhhhhhh! rarely have a issue with Cydia has Rock F'ed up my phone before um yes. rather deal with a down repo then fixing my phone, but that's me!

7. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

How many YEARS ago did you have trouble with Rock? Although, some people's phones are so screwed up before they install Rock, and then they blame Rock when they have problems.

8. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

No, it is a known fact rock screws everything up.

9. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Wow, not just a fact but a known fact. Must be true if it's a known fact. :rolleyes:

I guess all the people running Rock w/o problems are imagining it.

10. chadam macrumors member

chadam

why does everyone not like rock

Why does everyone knock rock? Should I not download it?

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You wouldnt happen to be the Owner of Rock by any chance?:D
    You seem to be the only one that feels the need to defend it alot.

12. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I don't get it rock was developed on '08 so at most it has 2 years, you make it seems like it's been longer...

I bet is this! quod erat demonstrandum!

13. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

I am simply countering the rampant misinformation spouted by the Rock haters.

Interesting you don't question the motives of the people who slam Rock every chance they get.

14. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

No, you incorrectly inferred that. Hopefully, you will have better comprehension of what your patients say not to mention the correct application of Latin phrases such as QED. Stick to trying to apply Spanish phrases, maybe the occasional English one.

The simple point is their experience is not current and has not been for quite a while. There are threads almost every day about apps that cause problems. A simple reading of thread titles shows people complaining about biteSMS crashing being caused by some app, multifl0w crashing and even the blessed and sainted Cydia has been mentioned yet people seem more than willing to let the authors fix them. It's only Rock that people whine about every time it's mentioned. So, in order to give an accurate picture, I respond to these misinformed haters. There are already newbies who think iPhones can get a virus so I am sure they are more than willing to believe the BS people post about Rock.

15. Jkazmeyer macrumors regular

I wish rock didn't wreck every I device I've installed it on, I liked it a lot. The interface was slick and fast. I'm no expert, but from what I've read, it seems like it's not really rock that doesn't work, but the rock extensions that are installed by it are what causes the issues. Either way, it's made me restore my devices multiple times.

16. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

It never wrecked any phone I had, or have, and it never caused me to restore any device.

17. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I don't think so, since you put the word YEARS in all caps to give the word in specific the highest importance in the sentence, usually when you see someone you haven't seen for a good while like an old high school friend one emphasizes the word YEARS (higher intonation) when speaking to them, years is more than 1 year and rock is 1.x - 2 years max, so when you use it in your post "How many YEARS ago did you have trouble with Rock?" the uninformed person that reads this thinks that the app has been stabilized throughout more than just a 1.X years (which is the real age of it)... A better post would have been maybe "have you tried the latest version of Rock, it fixed a lot the troubles of the 1.0 and works pretty good and gives you more flexibility. You probably used the first version and as you know the first time an app comes out, it always has problems but not anymore, you should give it a go" (this sells your idea more!)

I feel too much 'hatorade' from you towards Cydia like I told you on the other thread, I won't say that Cydia it's perfect nor is the holy grail since it's just an app that still has a LOT of things to fix to make it better. If you want to get your point across on why Rock is better you should use less hate in the way yo write against Cydia and give the members actual reasons to use Rock... you were the first person in this thread to even talk bad about Cydia and started mentioning Rock, which is why the other members attacked rock also (tit for tat)... With your writing style, I feel I am reading posts from a shady used car salesman. Rock has improved a lot, but Cydia is still the main player, saurik saves me my hashes and gives me cool apps made by him to expand my devices capabilities for cheap or free. What I'm saying is, if you want people to try Rock and give it a go, then people that post comment w/ a writing style like yours, plus the high prices of Rock apps like MyWi makes people lose interest in trying something new that might be better suited for them.... When you want to attract newer customers, high prices and badmouthing the competitor at every chance you get is not the way to go. People like you are the ones that make people not even give Rock a try. I downloaded the trial of MyWi and installed Rock and had no problems w/ neither, but since I only use tethering when I have no internet and need to use only one computer (once every two months), I uninstalled them both and used Tether Me, which only costs 2 dollars. If MyWi was more around $5-8, I could have easily paid the extra $ since I though it was a pretty good app w/ more functions and also would have used Rock more. Rock needs to expand it's user base, but it seems that the steps the developer is taking w/ prices will bring it's user count down, one needs to hook people in, then raise slowly prices since the product then becomes a necessity for the user and will pay the extra money.

As for the Q.E.D. (abbreviations use dots) :It seem you never took advanced mathematics when you where in college... since Q.E.D. is used whenever you end the last step of a proof for the statement that you originally set out to prove and for me, Applejuiced proof (in the mathematical sense of the word) proved it, thus the use of Q.E.D. I speak four languages and write three, I have two college degrees and now I'm studying medicine so don't come to me talking about comprehension semantics since my degrees are based on natural sciences, the humanities, and the social sciences. I find your writing style to be very askew...

18. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Years is plural, i.e., more than 1, e.g., 2.

I can also recognize a professional student, they typically confuse education with knowledge and wisdom. I know what QED means and took advanced math in college. I find your writing style to be very patronizing.

And I post about Rock the same way the haters do, hyperbole and absolutes. The Rock haters never qualify their posts nor do they mention specifics. There's never a rational discussion of the merits Cydia vs Rock by the Rock haters, just tantrums and vitriol. Try preaching to them in whatever language strikes your fancy at the moment.

19. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

yes, we all know years is the plural of year... just because you think 2 years is a lot of time, for most it isn't, is like telling someone about a restaurant that has existed for YEARS on X place, then you go and realize it's only existed for 2 years.

I'm sorry if you felt inferior in my reply to your post, I guess when someone is replying condescendingly like you do all over threads and then one writes to you in a similar fashion you feel inferior... You think you are interested in hearing what others have to say, but that's clearly not true. You're only interested in hearing what they have to say a long as it meets your conditions for not sounding patronizing. I think your agenda is more like: I will go around testing people reactions to my posts.

Why haven't you created a new thread to talk about pro & cons (w/ facts) of each of them so that it could maybe become a sticky or a highly read thread instead of replying rudely (causes negative interaction) in other threads since talking about Cydia & Rock are your main concerns.... I agree that in MR there is a lot of hatorade for Rock, but your way is not the best to convince people otherwise...

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'm just playin bro:D
    I like Pepsi.

21. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Comparing software to restaurants - brilliant. Two years for software is a lifetime. Two years for a restaurant is, irrelevant. :rolleyes:

I don't feel inferior to anyone, certainly not you. Peddle your Rock v. Cydia advice to someone who cares. I don't.

Note to self - Add professional student to ignore list
    /thread

22. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

It's a poor workman who blames his tools.

Rock's fine.

23. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I believe my comparison is valid since software development in 2years does not equate to a lifetime, if you go to Rock (your phone) website you will see that in the top banner the word BETA as part of the the Rock logo (The app has been out for 2years:rolleyes:) http://www.rockyourphone.com/index.php/

Since you seem to like dictionary def.:" 'Beta' is the software development phase following alpha, named after the Greek letter beta. It generally begins when the software is feature complete. The focus of beta testing is reducing impacts to users, often incorporating usability testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release.The users of a beta version are called beta testers. They are usually customers or prospective customers of the organization that develops the software, willing to test the software for free or for a reduced price.Beta version software is likely to be useful for internal demonstrations and previews to select customers. Some developers refer to this stage as a preview, a prototype, a technical preview (TP) or as an early access." Wiki

Software development milestones depends on manpower and coding skills not time... One person creating one app takes a whole lot more time to finish and find bugs, saying 2 years is a lifetime in software development is simply not true, I guess Rock has spend it's 'lifetime' without ever having a final build release...

You said that my writing was patronizing:
    Definition of Patronize by Merrian-Webster:
    1: to act as patron of : provide aid or support for (I don't think you meant this one...)
    2: to adopt an air of condescension toward : treat haughtily or coolly

Just like you said to another MR member in the other thread... Thanks!!!:) soon is gonna be 3/4 of the members on that list of yours!
    -----------------------------------------
    I agree with you! If one wants the specific Rock apps they should go for it!