Is the big brother watching

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by peterpan123, Oct 6, 2014.

1. peterpan123 macrumors 6502

Hi, I am working for an academic institute. Even in the lab, we have to login to our account to be able to use the internet. More interestingly, they have a router for each room in the dormintory. Does that mean they can get into my mail account and also monitor what sites I visited?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They cannot access your emails, but they can monitor what addresses you visit. Most organizations log the IP addresses you visit, but the logs are so huge, its unlikely they'll do anything with.

3. peterpan123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you mean they can check what websites I visited?

Why can't they access emails? Can they obtain passwords of various account as I connect to the internet via their router?

Is using the 4g connection from phone company at home the most secure way?

4. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

They can access anything that passes through their network unencrypted. That includes emails, HTTP traffic, etc. Your email client probably secures the transmission of the password, so that is likely safe, but not all email clients will do that by default and not all do a good job.

5. Alrescha macrumors 68020

That depends on whether you prefer that the phone company read this information instead of your local admins.

:)

A.

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

You can't do anything out that. Most governments just go to listen at ISPs that they put under a NDA so users never now.

Now what you have to worry about is hackers getting into your computer via a Trojan. So as a Mac user you can protect yourself by not doing anything nefarious on the Net and get the shareware Little Snitch. It acts like a reverse firewall telling you the users what is going out on your Mac. You have to give permission for something to go out on the Internet. You will be surprised on how many programs will call home for no reason.