Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matthewHUB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Hi guys,

I wondered if the space around the screen is touch sensitive and could be used for controls or something either in apps or via future updates.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Someone with the sdk could check but there's that whole Nda thing. I'd say not because then Apple would be copying Palm.

kirchnrd

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
well obviously it's not right now. but does the screen extend beyond the viewing area? could it be implemented in the future?

I seriously doubt it. Need the bezel to hold it, so making it touch sensitive would be a problem.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

kirchnrd said:
well obviously it's not right now. but does the screen extend beyond the viewing area? could it be implemented in the future?

I seriously doubt it. Need the bezel to hold it, so making it touch sensitive would be a problem.

I think it's a great idea. You could assign tap zones for a dashboard/expose type activites and create scroll areas of a custom length, which would greatly reduce the amount of travel your hand has to do across the screen.

As far as holding it goes, holding and tapping/scrolling are relatively easily discernable actions as long as any tap/hold action like copy/paste was disabled in the bezel area.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007

That never stopped Amazon. The Kindle 1 was a festival of accidental page turns. At least with the Kindle 2 they made the buttons trigger inward rather than outward.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.