Is the BlackBerry Torch 9800 enough to save RIM?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Apple..., Aug 3, 2010.

?

Is the BlackBerry Torch 9800 enough to save RIM?

1. Yes - RIM is saved!

15 vote(s)
    11.9%
  2. No - The "M" in RIM has been changed to "P"

80 vote(s)
    63.5%
  3. Maybe - I'll wait and see how things pan out before making a final decision

31 vote(s)
    24.6%
  1. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

What's your opinion? Is RIM back in the game with their new hardware or is it too late?

Please, post your comments below. :)

2. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Rim is the second largest behind nokia as far as smartphone sales, I think they'll be fine for at least a couple of years.

As for the phone itself, it seems interesting and anyone who absolutely needs a hardware keyboard would probably want to check this out. I've never been a blackberry user, it has never appealed to me, however this version I could see myself using third, behind webos and ios. I'm sure crackberry users are gonna love it.

3. Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

Fair enough. ;)

4. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

May not be enough to save RIM in the long run but it will certainly draw out their demise...

Call me crazy, but I think Blackberries are popular with the younger crowd who still see iPhones as pretentious, expensive, and snobby/spoiled gadgets. It may be that the Blackberry is no cheaper to purchase, and they're just as expensive for the monthly data service, but the perception is still there.

Also provides a clear upgrade path business people too busy to learn an entirely new phone os - a pretty legitimate market.

5. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

6. Schweitzer macrumors regular

Wrongly and inexplicably of course.

7. wwjbd24 macrumors member

correct me if i'm wrong...but doesnt RIM hold a majority of the 3g phone market? something like 29%?

8. Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

Yes, that may be true, but their market share has been dropping considerably low (and fast) in the past few quarters.

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

10. tzag macrumors member

tzag

The phone certainly has potential to save RIM at least in the enterprise, however not in the consumer market. The phone is simply not a consumer phone.

Does not have a consumer friendly App Store
    Does not have a high resolution display
    No front facing camera/No 720p recording

First three things that pop in my head when I think of phones people want.
    You can find those 3 on both iPhone and Android devices and Blackberry just doesn't cut it for consumers.

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

and yet their sells have increased quarter after quarter. Losing market share does not mean much when sales are still increasing. Just more players are entering the market.

This thread is almost on trolling quality and example how a lot of people do not fully understand how RIM and the blackberry work.

12. keviikev macrumors member

I have blackberry curve for work n my iPhone 4 for fun. If I u need to get email instantly in business world it is more practical. Having email running all day on iPhone will kill d battery. I think a comparison is not fair since one phone is more for corporate business world oriented.

13. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

They will keep developing items... I want to see the BlackPad.

14. draz macrumors 6502a

They have their business customers keeping them alive.... That's all that matters to them :p

15. wwjbd24 macrumors member

+1, what could it make "new" that the ipad hasn't already?

16. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

I have no clue, but RIM would have a bench mark to compete against.

Apple did good a good job but it should be fairly easy for RIM to improve on something that already exists.

17. minik macrumors 65816

I agree. RIM is still a major player out there and the media once again tried to bring the 'iPhone killer' as headline again.

I don't see the point of this slideout keyboard/touchscreen kind of device since Blackberry is famous for the screen above, keypad below one piece form factor.

18. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

But the screen is small. I hate having to look at documents on it. i also busted the H key on mine... no more BB click.

19. wwjbd24 macrumors member

more moving parts = disaster waiting to happen...

having come from a 9650, i definitely love the one piece; no one makes a better (IMO) keyboard than blackberry

20. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

Not true at all. The young kids don't know a thing about Blackberries. The young kids see "iPhone", "iPod", "iTunes", and are instantly hooked. Once they see the "i" they want it.

21. doctorxring macrumors member

It's only an iPhone killer if the buyer commits suicide.

Someone would willingly/knowingly give up all that is the Ip4, the App store,
    Apple connectivity and fluency, for that ??

But the market it big and a sucker is born every minute. The
    previous commentator makes a cogent argument that some people's
    prejudice won't allow them to have an iPhone.

Another issue is a perceived "bargain". Every Apple product I have
    purchased has not only lived up against it's hype, but has surpassed
    it in a huge way. Apple continues to keep their items current through
    OS and firmware upgrades and this extends value even further.

I know a guy at work that was so happy that he could have a multi touch
    phone and that it's not an iPhone, even though it is lame in comparison.
    He's just openly prejudice against Apple. Enjoy your semi-iPhone and
    drink the douche. I love my kool-aid.

22. pujapuri macrumors newbie

BlackBerry is going to be the only last standing competition to iPhone. Android will become like Linux.

23. MaxxTraxx macrumors 6502

Can anyone remind me when RIM needed to be saved? Last I checked, it was the phone of choice for business users.

24. rans0m00 macrumors 6502

Have a bberry for work email the rest is locked down but it works great for that. My iphone mail is delayed and just seems to take longer. So for corporate work I think the bberry will have a hold for a while until they put looks and gimicks over productivity and promptness as the priority. So savior or not it does look cool and it will have a use assuming its not priced out of the range of a mass roll out for a company.

25. rans0m00 macrumors 6502

Off topic but Linux when you learn how to actually use it IMO is much better than the current options out there. Just wish more hardware manufacturers supported the drivers to the same quality as a windows or mac os.