Is the BT600 worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by EliteF50, Jan 15, 2010.

1. EliteF50 macrumors regular

I currently have a Logitech VX Revolution, and I love it. But, I need the USB port, so I'm looking for a Bluetooth Mouse.

I really like the BT600, but do you guys think it would be a downgrade from the VX?

http://www.radtech.us/Products/BT600.aspx

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Frankly, yes.

I got a BT600 because I wanted bluetooth and loved the idea of being able to plug it in to charge when the batteries were weak.

In practice, however, my unit had absolutely horrible range, and was also a pain and a half to get it to kick in after sleeping the computer or turning the mouse off--sometimes it would just plain refuse to reconnect unless I turned it off and back on a half-dozen times and said nice things to it. I'd have blamed weak batteries, but it's obviously designed to work with rechargeables, and it was the same with the pair it shipped with and some better NiMH ones I tried.

Mine might have been faulty, but I eventually gave up and bought a MX revolution, which I love. I haven't used a VX Revolution to compare, but my guess is it would be a better mouse. Certainly, the ergonomics are better--the BT600 isn't uncomfortable, but it's also not particularly comfortable, and the scroll wheel is on the stiff side.

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

Have you considered a compact USB hub? That would let you continue using the VX Revolution and allow you to plug in other peripherals.

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

You know, if you have money to burn, you could always get the Cordless Desktop MX 5500 Revolution bundle; that has a ridiculous keyboard and a Bluetooth version of the MX Revolution. Silly that they don't sell the mouse separately.

Otherwise I'd recommend one of the new Magic Mice; they're actually very nice (a whole heck of a lot better than the BT600, for sure), and mine had no trouble reconnecting after sleep/being turned off. Battery life is also surprisingly good.