Is the CDMA iPhone Apple's Red-Headed Step Child?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dontwalkhand, Mar 6, 2011.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

It seems as with the iOS 4.3 update, and how it isn't available for CDMA phones, makes me think that Apple doesn't even feel that the CDMA iPhone exists.

I just got a VZW iPhone, and I would love to use the iTunes Home Sharing feature, and of course faster Safari speeds would be cool too. But considering how the iPhone 4 for Verizon doesn't even get the update, while the GSM one does...

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think it's more that 4.3 doesn't add much that isn't already on the CDMA iPhone. probably with the next release they will bring the two versions togeter.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Don't worry apple will pull the iOS software all back in line with the next update. Remember the iPad didn't get the new os straight away.

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

It'll be coming. Apple hasn't EOL'd the CDMA iPhone, don't worry.

5. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Some people have reported data problems on the Verizon iPhones, so there maybe some bugs being worked out on that end.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

So you guys complain that the phone isn't on Verizon and less than a month later complain that Apple is abandoning you because they're putting out an update that was never designed for the CDMA phone? Good times.

7. dave420 macrumors 65816

Definitely. The iPad never got 4.0 or 4.1, but is now in line with the iPhone iOS version. I am sure the Verizon iPhone will get in line much sooner, but it makes sense that it is behind at the moment since it is so new.

8. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Is the CDMA iPhone Apple's Red-Headed Step Child? Only until the CMDA iPhone makes its way to the Chinese carriers.

9. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

You have absolutely, positively NO clue what you're talking about.

Safari performance, bug fixes, gui enhancements,oh and a little thing called AIRPLAY.

10. Mmarzex macrumors member

You seem to have even less of a clue. Airplay already exists and is stupid to begin with. Safari Performance isn't that much of a difference, gui enhancements, hardly. The only thing would be bug fixes which chances are were put into 4.2.6 for the verizon iphone.

And I am a developer and tried the said features and can say they aren't that big a deal, so before you come on here and start telling people they have no idea what they are talking about read up and don't be such a dick.

And it really does amaze me now that everyone can get a verizon iphone they can start complaining about things like a software update that doesn't really matter. Get over it people you will get the features sooner or later.

11. EnialusMeliamne macrumors member

I'm a 3 Feb iPhone order guy on Verizon and couldn't be happier. I was patient enough to wait this long for the iPhone, I'll wait for the update to catch up. We waited for the iPad update, and it was worth the wait imo. It'll catch up. I'd rather Apple get the update right, then have craptastic response like I had on my Droid after I loaded Froyo.

12. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

People will always find something to complain about

13. JonathanGennick macrumors newbie

I would bet that Apple forked the code briefly to make the job of getting the Verizon model out easier. They'll probably merge the code lines back together reasonably soon. That's my guess, anyway, and I think it's a reasonable guess.

14. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Fortunately for all of us, your opinions on what counts is worthless. He wanted update and I gave them.

Try again.

15. TimShady macrumors member

As a Verizon iPhone owner, I'm a bit mad that there's been no mention of 4.3 for my phone. At least with the iPad, Apple had the common courtesy of saying it would be released later. With 4.3 there's been no mention of it at all. What gives?

16. at&t iphone macrumors newbie

I wouldn't worry about it, you already have hotspot capabilities and how do you know that 4.2.5 or 4.2.6 doesn't have some safari improvements.

Right now they are focused on getting iOS 4.3 out to all devices that publicly existed when they started working on the alpha and beta 4.3 (probably during or before iOS 4.2's release). This way they kept the cdma iphone under wraps from being figured out from the code. Plus a separate team was probably dedicated to making 4.2.5 perfect since they couldn't just release it to developers for a large test group.

Also the verizon iphone has a qualcomm vs the GSM iphone's infineon cellular chip so it is different hardware and a different technology. They gave it a unique iOS to get it out the door without unnecessary bugs. No one would be happy either way, a 4.3 that worked with the verizon iphone with tons of bugs from rushing it to the market or 4.2.5/6 that is a very stable release with users having to wait to get a stable 4.3 release.

I think we will see a 4.3.1 to bring everything in line with bug fixes for all devices. It will be announced at the beginning of the iOS 5.0 event so more media gets the word out. They won't make you wait until summer for 5.0 to get those features. The GM was released which is most likely the one being released the 11th so they can devote more of the team to getting something released for the verizon iphone.

17. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

I have a iPhone. On Verizon. I am happy.

So the other more established pieces of hardware get iOS 4.3 and my Verizon iPhone has something w/ a earlier rev version. I don't really care. I am sure the disparity will cease to exist with time.

In the meantime:

I have a iPhone. On Verizon. I am happy.

18. Gooter macrumors member

Gooter

Ditto! I finally have my iPhone on VZ and couldn't be happier. I've been waiting 2+ years for this chance. IMO, Apple will not fragment their iPhone users into 2 groups. At some point, the two versions of iPhones will run the same iOS.

19. EnialusMeliamne macrumors member

Exactly.

20. JonathanGennick macrumors newbie

Word!

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The last time I checked, iOS 4.3 is not available for GSM phones as well. Its not out.

Why get all roiled up about a non-problem since the update is not officially out yet.

22. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

*sigh*

the CDMA iPhone has a different baseband chip than the GSM iPhone, thus requiring different drivers. it'll take an update or two before the driver and OS updates sync up between the two phones.

geez. drama queen much?

23. Euroamerican macrumors member

Euroamerican

Got my CDMA iPhone on Friday morning, and I'm happy so far. I was able to make calls from several locations on the ski hill that I could never make phone calls at Sprint or AT&T.

Battery life seems to me much better than my sister's 3GS.

24. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Just a silly question, is it possible for a thread to be created in Macrumors without a verbal fight breaking out? :rolleyes:

As many have said, I couldn't be happier at this time, I have the phone I have wanted since 2007 on the network I am limited to using. Everything else will be frosting on top :D