iPad Is the Cellular version better than Wi-Fi?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by scaramoosh, Nov 30, 2014.

1. scaramoosh macrumors 6502

I'm never going to use a Sim Card on an iPad but just wondering if it has a faster clock speed, more ram or something I'm missing?

Thanx.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Obviously apart from the obvious cellular capability the biggest gain is the agps chip. Other than that there is nothing extra.

3. scaramoosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok cool, doesn't matter about either of those, I have a mobile so it isn't like I'm missing out, can just tether it any ways.

4. MacTCE macrumors 6502

If you're sure you never plan to use it on it's own cellular plan and you don't need the GPS then save the $130.

5. sovereign macrumors 6502

sovereign

Actually, the wifi models may be better since they may use MLC NAND storage in all capacities, instead of the confirmed use of TLC in the 64GB and 128GB cellular versions.

6. scaramoosh thread starter macrumors 6502

I bought one this morning but it is faulty :(

I hate tech, I went through 4 Galaxy S5s which all had the same screen fault before my Network wouldn't allow me to change it any more. So I sent it off to Samsung and waited a month for them to say it was fine, like no I can clearly see a purple tint at the bottom which isn't on the top. I even got a magnifying glass and saw two purple rows of pixels on all of them!

So I sold that and bought an iPhone 5s instead because I thought I'd prefer to just be able to walk into a store. However my iPhone 5s came with two dents on the edges, but I just lived with it and couldn't be bothered to go through an exchange just for that.

Now I got a faulty iPad Air 2 :( Just holding the device and I can see the effect you get when you push in an LCD monitor hard. I'm just holding the bottom of the device and I can see my fingers where I'm holding it.

7. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

From my experience, I think the WiFi Cellular version is better than the plain WiFi version. My first few iPads were all WiFi. After several instances where of not being able to access a connection, I decided to go ahead and get a cellular iPad to try it out. After that I never looked back. I love having the cellular there when I need it and have no worries about not being able to connect.

My iPad history is:
    iPad 1 32GB Wifi
    iPad 3 16GB WiFi (Won at work)
    iPad Mini WiFi 64 GB
    iPad 4 Wifi Cellular 64GB
    iPad Mini 2 WiFi Cellular 128GB
    iPad Air 2 WiFi Cellular 128GB

8. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

Not too much truth into this, I'm sure the storage capacities and write speeds are not noticed by the average user :rolleyes:

9. sovereign macrumors 6502

sovereign

Well now, the OP asked if there are any spec differences that would make the cellular model better. The facts are that there may be a difference that makes the wifi model better. Whether it is noticeable or not is a moot point.:rolleyes:

10. NativeTxn macrumors regular

Any benefit to the cellular version if I have AT&T Mobile Share and the iPhone 6 and can do a personal hotspot (other than the slight convenience factor of not having to turn on the hotspot, connect the iPad to the hotspot, etc.)?

11. newellj macrumors 601

Unless you've seem something more definite than I've seen, this is really just conjecture at this point.

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Better battery life on your phone due to not having to tether, if you care about that.

Also, cellular iPads have built-in GPS.

13. Kendo macrumors 68000

Hotspot will kill your 6 battery. On the other hand, using the iPad as a hotspot for something like a MacBook Pro will give you 10 hours of battery.

14. ZipZap macrumors 601

If you have a history like this you are clearly too picky. Not to be rude but I have had nearly all the iphones and ipad, ipad3 ipad air and ipad air2 and no issues.

You're looking too hard for problems.

15. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Either that or he has REALLY bad luck!