Is the combo-drive really THAT bad?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by milesbeyond, Oct 14, 2008.

1. milesbeyond macrumors newbie

I've been waiting to get my first Mac, and was really crossing my fingers for significant price drops...

My university is selling the white MacBook with the same specs as the $999.99 ($949.99 w/education discount) one on the Apple store, BUT it comes with a combo-drive. Price: $799.99 BEFORE any revisions that may be made after this announcement.

Seriously worth the $150? The reason I waited though was I wanted aluminum and the LED display and multi-touch trackpad. But is THAT worth $1249.99? Faster, right? OR should I just settle for an old MacBook Pro 15'' for $1499.99?

I'm indecisive.

2. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

It's not the price, it's the fact the Combo is obsolete and for a Mac at these prices, a superdrive is a minimum. Next the 5400 RPM HDD should be made obsolete or unacceptable for Apple. (With exceptions such as in the MacBook Air)

3. G5power macrumors 6502

The value of the Supder drive is that with a DVD burner you can easily burn a back up disk of mass amounts of data on a cheap DVD blank.

Consider that you can easily have way more pictures, video and music files then will fit on a single CD.

It's not that the combo drive is useless, just a very low end feature.