Is the confirmation email time stamp accurate?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by SixtyK, Apr 29, 2015.

1. SixtyK macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

There has been a lot of discussion across several threads about some people receiving their watches before others who ordered sooner (based on email time stamps).

I asked in another thread if it had ever been shown definitively that the time stamp on the confirmation is an accurate representation of the order time? In an effort to answer my own question, I just conducted a simple experiment.

I sent out an email from my work email address to two of my personal email addresses provided by two different services (cox.net and gmail.com) and checked the time stamp on each.

cox.net showed a timestamp of 13:07:48 (converted to CDT)
    gmail.com showed a timestamp of 13:08:02 (converted to CDT)

A difference of 19 seconds. Just something to think about.

2. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Just chat with Apple and get your actual confirmation time there, please?

3. SixtyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

I've personally been in "leave the Apple chat reps alone" camp myself.

4. Nicholasredford macrumors regular

Mine came in at 05:52 the Rep said my order time was 05:47 close enough for the conversation.

5. zed2 macrumors 6502a

You should be looking at the full headers of the mail, and look for the time stamp for the first received header, which is the first server to handle the message.

6. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Why?

7. SixtyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

Because, based on the comments of people who have contacted them, they seem to be unable to provide me with any more detail about my specific order than you could.

8. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Give me your order number and pertaining info. I'll get you what time your real order confirmation is.

And judging by the email "experiment" you did, you don't seem like someone who just goes by other people's comments to base your decisions.

9. SixtyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

Apple says I'll have my watch between the 13th and the 27th of May. For now I am content with that information.

I was curious and had a few minutes over my lunch break so I tried it out. Is that acceptable to you or shall I explain myself further?

10. amro macrumors 6502

I chatted with Apple yesterday and their "order processed" time matched my email receipt time.

----------

Disagree. When I chatted with them last night, they were really cool about it. Of course it probably helped that I was asking out of curiosity and not blaming them for the supply chain issue. We had a pleasant conversation.

Remember, it's not their responsibility nor do they have information as to how the initial batch numbers were determined. But they're more than happy to tell you anything you want to know about your order information.

11. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Just wasting space here. Gotchya'. No more explanation needed.

12. SixtyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

I'm certainly not claiming my result as an end-all be-all or infallible in any way. I was curious and decided to share my result. I don't know any more about Apple's process than anybody else and I recognize that.

13. Ric WRX macrumors member

Ric WRX

Does the email time stamp really mean anything?

14. SixtyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

Many people are using the email time stamp as an indicator of order sequence which is why I was initially curious.