Is the current flowing through magsafe1 deadly ?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by XPcentric, Feb 5, 2017.

1. XPcentric macrumors 6502

Its 60W, 16.5V, 3.65A

I've read that people are protected when touching the magsafe, but I'm asking about touching the wires directly. Seeking only the theoretical answer, dont need to be adviced about not to do it.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Theoretically, yes. The MagSafe could potentially kill a person.

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

It's not the current that flows through the MagSafe that will kill you; it's the current you induce in yourself. A fraction of an amp will kill you, but simply touching the MagSafe is unlikely to do anything at all.

5. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

What do you mean by "touching the wires directly"?
    1. Has the insulation come off and you can see the bare metal conductors inside the white cable that has the MagSafe on one end?
    2. Or are you talking about touching the pins on the MagSafe connector?
    3. Or has the plastic box that you plug into the wall opened up and you can see bare wires inside that?
    4. Or are you talking about the optional power cord extension that plugs into the wall outlet and also slides into the corner of the white plastic power block (once you slide the folding pins off, obviously)?
    And by "deadly" do you mean by electrocution, fire risk, or some other means?

6. XPcentric thread starter macrumors 6502

My Magsafe was repaired and it no longer has visible wires.
    But my question was theoretical, about cutting the wire and touching it. Can you die doing that ?
    I'm trying to asses if the current flowing through that thin cable is dangerous.
    Unlike touching the wire or the ending of a phone adapter which is not deadly, I guess.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If you're talking about the side of the Magsafe that plugs into the computer then no, it won't kill you. It's exactly the same as touching two or more connectors on that part of the adapter.

Yes, it's true that current kills you and not voltage, but 16.5V DC is not going to push even a fraction of an amp through the human body.

Now, if you're touching the wires on the other side of the power brick, that's 120V AC and it can kill you.

8. Lihp8270, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017

Lihp8270 macrumors regular

Even at that voltage, 120AC isn't really enough to drive a lethal current through an otherwise healthy person.

V=IR so I=V/R

Sat here with a multimeter, and a soaking wet thumb it is 300k ohms over about an inch of wet skin. It is 0.0004 Amps, or 0.4mA, at 10mA you cannot let go due to muscle contractions, breathing struggles around 20mA, 75mA is where serious breathing issues start, and iirc the heart goes nuts at 100mA.

So even with the UK at 240V you'd be extremely unlucky, or have another medical condition to die from mains voltage. This is also assuming that the safety devices in the building are also faulty.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

To play it safe don't put your tongue on the MagSafe connector.