Is the current iMac HDD upgradeable?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by raymondu999, Jan 28, 2014.

1. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Hey folks - due to a lack of BTO capability in my country, I have to buy a Mac from the stores - where they only carry the stock models. I'm wondering if it's possible to upgrade the drive after purchasing? i.e. buy a 3rd party SSD, then switch out the internal existing HDD with an SSD?

Thanks.

2. Bear macrumors G3

It is possible but not everyone is comfortable with doing what is needed. Also, replacing the disk yourself can void the warranty. I would suggest just using an external disk for the additional storage.

3. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm not looking for extra storage, I'm looking for extra performance, so I'm looking to switch out to an SSD.

4. Bear macrumors G3

Attach an SSD via USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt and use that as your boot disk. You'll get the performance you're looking for.

5. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I would suggest this as well. Taking the screen off is really risky unless you've done it before.

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I agree with the excellent advice given here. I may open my own iMac for customization in the future, but not at least until the 3 years of AppleCare have expired.

As Bear mentioned, an external SSD is a great option. You can get a Thunderbolt enclosure for about $100 now and a 256GB SSD for about $170. Throw in another $30 for a Thunderbolt cable and you're good to go. You can save even more by going with a USB 3 enclosure for a slight performance hit. Then you install OS X and boot off the SSD and can use the internal HD for storage.