Is the current Mac Pro worth getting?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by SirHumphrey, Apr 18, 2010.

1. SirHumphrey macrumors newbie

I would really like a new desktop and I like the Mac Pro a lot is the base model worth getting? I know they are due for a refresh but at $2299 is it still a good buy?

2. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

no.. wait a bit for the refresh, my opinion anyways.

3. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

4. SirHumphrey thread starter macrumors newbie

I want a computer that will last me 5 years. The only intensive apps will be some video games so I should be okay with the current one right? I was told that if they came out with a new one two weeks later the Apple store would give me the new for the price difference if any. There is never any official news so they could be dropping the Mac Pro line for ever for all we know.

5. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

There are rumours of a dodeca-core Mac Pro this June, including an article in renowned Macworld magazine, if you want the best bang for your buck I would recommend waiting, but only if you can, if you desperately need one then the current Mac Pros will still be very powerful.

6. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

If your most intensive apps are video games, you'd be better off with a PC or a hackintosh, not a Mac Pro. For ~$700 you can build a system that's faster than the base quad-core Mac Pro.

7. SirHumphrey thread starter macrumors newbie

How important is the CPU for gaming these days? If I just buy a good graphics card wouldn't a Mac Pro be capable?

8. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

the best graphic card for mac is 285GTX. if that is enough for you then yes the mac pro will be good for your needs.

9. SirHumphrey thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm so that is the best card I can put in a Mac Pro even if I am running Windows?

10. Capt. Corduroy macrumors newbie

If the 2010s come out with USB 3.0 I'm going to have *envy*.

11. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

They won't, its not in the chipset. Apple NEVER uses add-on I/O chips except to add Firewire. That's why there are only 4 HDDs too.