Is the Dashboard still alive in macOS Sierra?

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by Ternary, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Ternary macrumors regular

Apple hid the Dashboard by default in OS X Yosemite/El Capitan, but it was still accessible through a setting. Does this setting still exist in macOS Sierra, or is the Dashboard gone for good? Thanks.

2. JesperA macrumors 6502a

3. Eithanius macrumors 65816

And in bad shape... The flip motion's totally gone...

4. VoiceofSF macrumors newbie

VoiceofSF

But it's easily accessible. It's a Launchpad widget.

5. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Yes, still there thankfully. This is probably the most iconic feature of OS X so it would be criminal to remove it.

6. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

Really? Dashboard? Not the Dock, or the Finder icon, or the systemwide menubar, or anything else?

Half my students have Macs and I've never seen them even touch Dashboard.

Not saying it should go away just because I don't use it, but it's practically abandonware at this point.

7. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

Sounds about right. I imagine the majority of Mac users aren't even aware it exists.

8. lunarworks macrumors 6502a

I disabled it on my laptop years ago.

9. TheStork macrumors regular

TheStork

I use a bunch of Dashboard widgets. I didn't like the standard Apple widgets when the Dashboard first appeared in OS X. But, with the advent of good 3rd party widgets, I will be disappointed if the Dashboard is discontinued. How will I know my university's football and basketball schedules?! :( :p

10. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Not even close, but I am glad they haven't removed it.

11. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

They're slowly going to replace dashboard widgets with Notification Center widgets, probably.

12. BigMcGuire macrumors demi-god

BigMcGuire

Figured I was one of the only few that did this. lol.

13. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

The "old" Dashboard is still there for the time being. The new Dashboard, also known as "Notification Center" is just as useful (which isn't saying much) as the old Dashboard, and about as inconvenient to use. I expect the old Dashboard to disappear in the next few years.

14. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

It'll probably stick around until a major break in it's functionality.

I'm happy to see it stay though, I just like the icon in my dock.

15. Cougarcat macrumors 604

How is Dashboard inconvenient to use? You just press one button and you can see a lot of info at a glance.

With NC, you have to swipe, press the "today" button, and then you can view about two widgets before you have to scroll. I really hope that before they ditch Dashboard they re-think the NC widget UI. They copied it from iOS without thinking if it made sense on a Mac.

16. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

I think you missed my sarcasm. ;)

17. psionicsin macrumors 6502

psionicsin

Was gonna say this exactly. Not only my students, but also me. There's not one thing I use in there that I can't access with 1-2 clicks from the dock.

Maybe I'm partially biased as I entered the OS X revolution WELL after Dashboard was implemented.

18. KALLT macrumors 601

Notification centre has been a disappointment ever since its inception. I like the notifications, but the centre itself is just unwieldy. It doesn’t show that there are any unread notifications, it doesn’t work in harmony with the Dock and it has a redundant:

Tuesday,
    28th June

at the top, even though the status bar is a few cm above. Siri does seem to be a new entry point for it, but it is still just not what I had hoped notification centre would become.

I personally do not use Dashboard, but I actually found quite a bit of it ingenious. Especially the web clips are absolutely fantastic. That was some serious bit of creativity on their part, back in the days.

19. rnbwd macrumors regular

rnbwd

I was hoping it was dead. thanks for reminding me it's still alive - I think I used it a few times in 3-4 years ago. but if ya'll love it - i don't care if they keep it around for nostalgia

20. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Couldn't agree more.

21. jimixdnb, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016

jimixdnb macrumors newbie

The dashboard seems utterly useless to me in the current os. But hey, as long as I don't have to deactivate it through terminal, but others rather have to activate it first... then so be it ;)

The giant date on top of NC grinds my gears tho from day one too...

22. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

It's a hidden gem similar to the Tetris game that ships with every version of OS X.

23. Ternary thread starter macrumors regular

From what I remember, they didn't even change the tile game background for OS X El Capitan. (Normally the tile game background is based on the OS name.) Presumably this is still the case for MacOS Sierra, right?

24. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

For El Cap, can confirm that the tile game background is still Yosemite's. As for macOS Sierra, can't comment as I don't have access to the developer beta.

25. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

The tile game background is unchanged as of beta 2, still the default wallpaper from OS X Yosemite.