Is the DataPro 2gb data plan a good amount for iPhone 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iSkier, Oct 7, 2011.

1. iSkier macrumors regular

I couldnt use my unlimited plan anymore on AT&T so I went with 2gb. Is this enough in your guys' experience?

2. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

What do you plan on doing with your phone? Some people barely use any even though they think they need a lot and others use way more than 2gb.

3. mrxak macrumors 68000

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    If there's a lot of wifi around you, or you don't stream a lot of movies, 2GB will be plenty. It really depends on your use. AT&T has a pretty good chart outlining what it would take to use up all the data in their 200MB, 2GB, and 4GB plans. Just bear in mind, that's just data that goes over the cell towers. Wifi is always free.

4. iSkier thread starter macrumors regular

Well I'm not a heavy user necessarily, but i'm coming from a crappy Android phone. I will definitely be surfing the web,emailing, and doing most of the data features on network but will have access to wifi a lot. I was just interested in what others thought and if I should be worried.

5. pezasied182 macrumors 6502

My girlfriend who isn't very tech savvy uses 2gb a month on ATT, she streams netflix and pandora a fair bit. If you do that it gets used up very fast. If our gym had wifi she wouldn't use anywhere close to 2gb though.

----------

That sounds fine, as long as you aren't streaming shows or tethering you're fine.

6. iSkier thread starter macrumors regular

So watching netflix or pandora for example eats up a lot of data?

7. aneftp macrumors 68040

Please note. If you have a FAN discount with ATT.

Data plans $25 and up qualify for discounts.

If you opt for $15/200mb data plan you get zero discount

So I currently get 24% discount off my $30 unlimited. That means I really only pay $22.70 for unlimited

If I had opted for the $15/200mb data plan I wouldn't get any discount.

So $22.70 for unlimited vs $15/200mb. The choice for me was obvious.

Check to see if you have a fan and how much discount because if you get large 20-25% discounts the $25 data plan is the much better choice winces it's discounted and the $15 isn't.

8. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I use mine with wifi a lot and don't stream much at all and I've used 1.4 GB since I got this phone (replaced the one I got at launch in 2010) in June. So it's gonna be plenty for me. :)

9. paulold macrumors 6502

You should check your current cell phone bills if you have had a smartphone that uses data. I have had an iPhone for years and it seems I don't go over 300 MB of data. Maybe that will change some with iCloud, but I doubt it will get me over 2 GB.

That being said, I went with the 4 GB plan (Verizon) so I could have the mobile hotspot. Probably overkill, but I figured I could go back to 2 GB if I don't like or use the hotspot.

10. NoHo macrumors 6502

If you had an unlimited plan, it should let you keep it when you upgrade. It did for me.

Personally, I wouldn't want anything else but unlimited. With iCloud and all the other features coming out, data is going to be very heavy and the peace of mind of not having to watch what I do with my iPhone is worth the extra $5 a month is costs for the unlimited plan compared to the 2gb plan.

I use between 1gb and 5gb a month, but I don't want to ever have to monitor how much I use.