Is the Dell XPS 27 inch touch (screen better?)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by aneftp, Oct 25, 2012.

1. aneftp macrumors 601

I am seriously considering getting the Dell XPS 27 inch touch. Price wise, it's about $1999 for the model I want.

Vs. about $2200-2400 for the iMac I want to configure. So not much of price difference.

But has anyone used or seen the Dell screen?

It has same resolution as the 27 inch iMac and supposely IPS also.

Not sure if I am willing to wait to mid-end of December 2012 for the new Imac 27 inch to arrive.

And yes, I've used Windows 8 beta before. I know how Windows 8 runs. Windows vs Mac OS, doesn't matter to me. I can use either.

2. karpich1 macrumors regular

Prior to the "Touch" release, the reviews were QUITE good. Loads of reviews, all favorable, saying Apple had better worry.

I'm not saying the addition of Touch is bad, but I just haven't seen as many reviews flying around.

Specs-wise, the only down-side compared to the new iMacs are as I remember are it "only" comes with the nVidia 640m which is slower than the 2011 iMac's high-end AMD GPU.

But beyond that, it's a very solid machine.

And Dell's manual gives instructions on disassembling it and how to replace just about each part.

3. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

If Windows is OK with you, and sub-par graphics performance as well, go for the Dell.

4. Shivetya macrumors 65816

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The Dell has the same IPS panel as the iMac 27" as far as I know, but the Dell isn't optically laminated. Might be worth looking at them both in store to see how that affects the quality.

As others have pointed out the GPU configurations are better on the iMacs as well.

If you're just going to buy a machine for running Windows and you don't care so much about GPU performance then you should probably just get the Dell.

6. aneftp thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks for the advice. I found one that ships out tomorrow on Amazon but amazon has 15% restocking fee if I don't like it. Amazon has it for $1820 free shipping with amazon prime

And Dell is $1999 plus taxes.

I am torn what to do. I sold my 27 inch iMac last week in anticipation of new iMacs this week or a 1-2 week shipping delay. I didn't anticipate a 8-9 week delay for new 27 inch iMac. And the dell is touch screen now.

7. Ak907Freerider macrumors 6502

Why would u even want a touch screen. Would be pretty painful on your back having to lean forward so far to use the touch screen. Want touch screen get a tablet will be faster for what u would use a touch screen for anyways. Web, email, YouTube etc. The other things more computer intensive u wouldn't want touch screen. Less u want to see ur chiropractor a lot sure they would love to see u.

8. karpich1 macrumors regular

Yeh, someone once told me "I could use this all day" I said "try that and get back to me" His arm was sore.

However, personally I can see it having the occasional use. Like when demonstrating something to someone or whatever... I can actually point to the screen and touch it which is a better "visual" then having them watch the mouse cursor.

But... that's a rare thing for me to care about / bother with.

9. Ak907Freerider macrumors 6502

Seems gimicky to me. Take windows because it has a touch screen really. Why not get the iMac and the trackpad?? Same thing but way more control while using

10. mjoshi123 macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

What exactly is your application / usage ? I'm not a gamer and I've seriously considered Dell XPS because of simple value for money as both Dell & iMac when equally equipped do have some price difference.

11. angus99 macrumors newbie

I recently bought the non touch version of the XPS, with the £300 discount they were offering prior to the introduction of the touch version. I got the mid range version with the i7 CPU, 6GB RAM and 2TB HDD for £1199. I'll be installing a 128 GB SSD and 16 GB RAM tomorrow. I'm pretty happy with it, but not sure I would pay the current price for the touch screen version (£1779).

The deal breaker for me with the iMac is the lack of an HDMI input. I just can't justify paying that much for a display that I can't use for anything other then apple products. If the Imac had this feature I would have waited and got the base 27" iMac with the 1TB fusion drive.

I'm not a really a Gamer but have found the GPU to be fine for my needs. Dishonored runs really well @1920x1080 on max settings.

I don't know a lot about graphics cards but just wondered how the Dell's GT640m with 2GB GDDR5 compares with the iMac GT650m and GT660m which only have 512MB DDR. it seems to me that you have to go for the top spec 27" to get a decent graphics card.

12. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

13. angus99 macrumors newbie