Is the dev team still working on an unlock?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by 24usedtorock, May 7, 2011.

1. 24usedtorock macrumors regular

With iPhone 5 at the most a couple of months away, is there any reason to believe that the dev team is even working on an unlock anymore? :mad:

2. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

not trying to be rude, but you should probably post that on their website for a quicker/better answer.

3. drummr macrumors regular

Do they even have a website you can post on? They have a blog but you can't post on that.

And to answer the question, last I heard they were still working on the 40 bit NCK unlock.

4. 24usedtorock thread starter macrumors regular

Reading Musclenerd's twitter is like watching a dog chase his tail.

These kids really miss Geohot.

5. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

i usually just read up on the comments on the dev team blog and get updated news.

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

You can post on the blog, as a comment ;)

7. drummr macrumors regular

True, but last time I looked at the comments its was thousands of 12 year olds asking "yo whers tha unlock/jailbrake noobz0rz" :rolleyes:
    And I never looked again.

8. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Of course they're working on an unlock. But the baseband is getting tighter and tighter, and exploitable crashes few and far between. The Dev-Team has always had a policy of conserving unlocks; rarely do they release more than one per major OS version. Certainly they don't unlock every point upgrade; that would be an incredible waste.

In this case they've released two, have provided a means for people to preserve their basebands, and have created a workaround using the iPad baseband. Even if they were to finish up a new unlock tomorrow, I imagine at this point they would hold it for the release of iOS 5 -- as they should.

9. fullmanfullninj macrumors regular

Few members on Dev team actually could figure out how to unlock.
    I'm sure they're working on it, but I doubt they've made much progress. Look at it, ONE firmware of iPhone 4 is unlockable. 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 have all come and gone and yet there's still nothing. The supply of unlockable phones are now very low (I believe last software-unlockable iPhone was back in Sept of 2010?)

I get the releasing one per major OS, but the supply of software unlockable iphones is dwindling.

And I know I sound ungrateful, blah blah, etc. I appreciateD all the work they gave, but now they just don't have that same passion (for reasons I'm sure we all know). Love their work in the past! Just for now, Gevey is the clearer winner.

10. TC25 macrumors 68020

And that's different from this thread how? :D

11. 24usedtorock thread starter macrumors regular

It's a reasonable question. Since it seems all major US carriers would offer iPhone 5, is the demand as fierce as it was for an unlock? Since it has proven to be a taller task than imagined, is it worth it for them to spend the time without financial motivation?

Apple's clearly paid some very bright people to make their basebands uncrackable.... we're depending on a team without their fearless leader (Geohot), a team that makes tacky posts on Twitter and doesn't issue a public statement...

My money's on no unlock. I'll be buying a factory unlocked iPhone 5 most likely, and will forever remember the most expensive iPod (iphone 4) that i've ever purchased.