Is the dual camera worth getting the Plus?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anthony T, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

I had an iPhone 6s Plus and ended up exchanging it for a regular 6s. I felt it was just too big and bulky for me. I'm more comfortable with the 4.7" model.

However, the camera on the 7 Plus looks amazing. Do you think the better camera is worth dealing with the larger size?

2. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

Why suffer with something that you previously found 'too big and bulky' just because it's got a 2x optical zoom camera on it?

You must know how the size felt for you. That is more important than 2 years of being uncomfortable.

3. Anthony T thread starter macrumors 6502a

True. I just really wonder how much better the camera is on the Plus compared to the regular 7.

4. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

Im in the same boat, only thing stopping me from getting the 7 is the 720p screen...

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Looks like they are pretty much the same, except for the extra lens on the plus. For me, the larger screen and better battery life are the main reasons to get the plus.

Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 10.59.11 AM.png

6. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Both phones have what is roughly a 29mm F1.8 lens, a wide angle.

The 7+ has a 56mm F2.8 normal lens which is not at all a real telephoto, just 2x closer than the wide angle on either phone. What makes a lens magnify something to the point that it is considered a telephoto is when it makes objects appear larger than what the human eye sees. This has little to do with how much angle o view there is since our eye is equal to a 50mm lens on an SLR but still has peripheral vision that is over 200 degrees where the 50mm lens is about 47 degrees.

Apple is calling the 56mm 2.8 lens on the second camera of the 7+ a "telephoto" because it magnifies the resulting image 2x more than the 29mm 1.8 wide angle lens.