Is the efficiency of the thermal paste/grease decreases with time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jpaulo007, Jun 23, 2009.

1. jpaulo007 macrumors newbie

Is the efficiency of the thermal paste/grease decreases with time?
    I bought a Macbook pro 2 years ago and seems that it's hotter than when it was new.

2. tiggle macrumors member

My 15 inch unibody (bought november 08) seems to be doing the same. Its been very hot recently. I have upped the minimum fan speed to 4000 and that has done the trick. But why does it feel hotter now? I opened it up and the fans are not full of gunk . I am thinking of taking it in for service to see what is going on.

3. mqc macrumors newbie

106 degree Celsius CPU

sorry to cross post i followed from the earlier thread.

i have a 3 month old 2.66 mbp and my CPU got to 106 Celsius in cs4 photoshop

needless to say it shut everything down and pinwheeled for about 30 min even after unsuccessful force quit

the bottom was super hot, untouchable

this is unacceptable, do i just have a lemon?
    any tips an approaching apple?

4. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

Of course. At some point you'll need to clean off the old stuff and put on new. No biggie.

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Speaking of heat...
    Did either of you's upgrade the firmware in the recent months? Cause I did and the normal temperature of my poor MBP has some what increased since upgrading the firmware; non of my tasks have changed recently but the thermal heat has gone up from a steady 60°C to astonishingly 79~83°C.

Regarding the thermal compound, well.. i changed it over 12months ago... if you search, my discoveries are well documented on this forum, somewhere.. Oh here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3795485&postcount=71

6. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Yeah, the grease dries up over time and has to be scraped off/reapplied

You'll know if the grease is a problem because most of the heat will be isolated around the CPU. You'll get sporadic slowdowns and eventually the computer will freeze

But as far as the base being too hot, your fan could be clogged too

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Maybe you're not aware but the default grease Apple uses is somewhat hard anyway, more like putty or blue-tac. It's not like the stuff we normally use in a PC that is more like a thick paste.