Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Perchperkins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2019
Greetings all!

I want to start out by saying that I am a fan of apple, specifically 4-8 year old apples. I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro 15” that has all the ports you could dream of. As well as a 2009, and 2011 iMac that I am upgrading.

I think, however, that apple has lost its magic and that their new products suck ass.

My old machines just work. All the time. And are easy to upgrade, and easy to fix.

The new machines however, are a joke.
The butterfly keyboards on a $4000 Mac aren’t that great to type on compared to the scissor switches. And a little piece of dust renders them useless.

Apple can’t be bothered to use decent thermal paste on their products. (I put new thermal paste on all my macs and it significantly improves performance)

Apple charges an arm and a leg for any factory upgrades, and they even still offer Hard drives. It goes without saying that the performance upgrade is immense when you upgrade to an SSD.

Apple removes all ports and and leave users with 4 USB C ports. 4 is pointless because you only need two. One to charge, and one for your dongle that apple charges $50 for. The other two are useless.

The MacBook is thinner than the MacBook Air???

If your MacBook Dies, there is no way to recover your data. Apple removed the data recovery port from the motherboard.

Also apple customer support is very “hit or miss”, it it seems like a miss to most people.

I could keep going on but long story short. It seems the end is nigh for apple. They seem to start with money, and build a product with how much money they can make in mind.

At least the iPhone XS Max I’m typing this on is fantastic. It only cost me $1100 and it’s the last new apple product I will buy.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
yes you can recover your data

I don't agree with this first video. Apple is not the single minded view of "We can do it and you should only do it with us, or else" type model..

More likely, this guy had a bad Apple experience, and just letting it out on Youtube.

Tigger11

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
Rocket City, USA
Oh yeah the end is nigh. I mean they only have 245 Billion dollars in cash on hand, last year they made they made a lousy 59.5 Billion in profit and the first quarter of this year, they made just under 20 Billion profit for a quarter. With numbers like this, everyone needs to start realizing that its about over, or they are one of the largest most profitable companies ever.
-Tig

Reactions: jbachandouris

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
Oh yeah the end is nigh. I mean they only have 245 Billion dollars in cash on hand, last year they made they made a lousy 59.5 Billion in profit and the first quarter of this year, they made just under 20 Billion profit for a quarter. With numbers like this, everyone needs to start realizing that its about over, or they are one of the largest most profitable companies ever.
-Tig
You just don't get it. The end is nigh because the OP will not buy any more Apple products.

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA
I don't agree with this first video. Apple is not the single minded view of "We can do it and you should only do it with us, or else" type model..

More likely, this guy had a bad Apple experience, and just letting it out on Youtube.
not quite he runs a successful repair store in NY that specializes in primarily Apple laptops because his shop does mostly low level board repairs and Apple laptops are one of the few things with the margins he likes for the time it takes.

so it wasn't one bad experience its been hundreds of consistently bad experiences.

i find it cool he does live streams fixing them often, while it wont keep you at the edge of your seat, but its cool enough to have running in the background when doing other things.
you as an audience start to pick up on the trends when you see certain problems over and over again.

he's been A big proponent of the right to repair movement, for obvious reasons.

honestly every customer should be up in arms about Apple's anti-customer stance with right to repair, especially data recovery.

like the new MBP's using a proprietary lifeboat connector, they don't sell the adapter to anyone but also don't do data recovery themselves.
even the retina MacBook Pros you get chinese adapters and can pull the drive.
even in my business I've saved some data being able pull the SSDs and recover them with my rapidspar, and i don't do board level repairs outside of PC power jack repairs on occasion.

Reactions: phoneme
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.