Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

covertyows

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
I currently own a pretty good gaming pc, and will be gettin my 13" mpb soon. For my pc I have a 22" monitor and love it, but I needed a portable so I got the mbp. when I am at my desk, is it worth getting the connector just so I can use the larger display?

the obvious answer is yes, because larger displays are better, but is it worth it to get the connector? plus, I don't know if I would use it all of the time.:confused:

Poirot818

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2008
I currently own a pretty good gaming pc, and will be gettin my 13" mpb soon. For my pc I have a 22" monitor and love it, but I needed a portable so I got the mbp. when I am at my desk, is it worth getting the connector just so I can use the larger display?

the obvious answer is yes, because larger displays are better, but is it worth it to get the connector? plus, I don't know if I would use it all of the time.:confused:

You answered your own question. MDP to DVI/HDMI adapters are like $12. You own a gaming pc, a 22" monitor, and a MBP, and you're having trouble with a $12 adapter?

covertyows

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
You answered your own question. MDP to DVI/HDMI adapters are like $12. You own a gaming pc, a 22" monitor, and a MBP, and you're having trouble with a $12 adapter?

no, its not that I can't afford the adapter. its more that I am worried that I wouldnt use it much, and I wanted to know from ppl who do use external displays if its just that much better of an experience.

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
I'm assuming you're talking about the MDP to VGA adapter?

one of the best $30 purchases I've made. The 13" is perfect for on the go but if its going to double as a desktop at home, I recommend an external display and possibly bluetooth mouse/keyboard, which is what I have. Makes the home work station a lot more comfortable and the less you use your keyboard and mousepad the less dirty they will become over time.

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
no, its not that I can't afford the adapter. its more that I am worried that I wouldnt use it much, and I wanted to know from ppl who do use external displays if its just that much better of an experience.

I have the 24" LED and use it anytime I'm near it. My 13" MB is fine for travel, couch, etc. but doesn't compare to the square inches I get with this... Plenty of people have survived on only a laptop screen but if you have the money and are at a desk some significant percentage of a day/week, I think it's worth it.

notlob

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2007
Fantastic! I have a MBP 15" and as brilliant a screen that has, I always have to use the 24" as it is just that much better!:)

covertyows

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
alright, well I guess I'm gonna go ahead and get the adapter.

this leads to a new question:

what are the best options for wireless mouse and keyboard?

I was looking at this, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126033

I like it mainly because it can be used with both the mac and the pc, which is important, considering how much I would have to spend.

any better alternatives?

game2

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2009
Question,

Don't want to start a new thread, so is there a way to have the macbook closed, and have it still functioning, say giving my other monitor a feed, and working with the usb mouse and keyboard? IF so, how can i do this?

URPREY

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2009
Louisville, KY
Don't want to start a new thread, so is there a way to have the macbook closed, and have it still functioning, say giving my other monitor a feed, and working with the usb mouse and keyboard? IF so, how can i do this?
Use an application called InsomniaX to do this.

MacMini2009

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2009
California
alright, well I guess I'm gonna go ahead and get the adapter.

this leads to a new question:

what are the best options for wireless mouse and keyboard?

I was looking at this, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126033

I like it mainly because it can be used with both the mac and the pc, which is important, considering how much I would have to spend.

any better alternatives?

Apple Wireless Keyboard and Wireless Mighty Mouse

game2

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2009
Use an application called InsomniaX to do this.

Thanks, :):D and not to thread jack, what website would compare to say download -.com for macs, i looked for specific software for the mac on there but i was surprised by how empty the mac section was.

oilfighter

macrumors regular
May 14, 2008
The wireless keyboard is nice, but the mighty mouse is horrible. Look at the Logitech mice.

Agreed! Mighty mouse is touch sensitive(?) or something. So if you enable right click, and have your finger touching the right click area, and do a left click, sometimes it'll trigger the right click. While doing my mac purchase research I was playing with an iMac at the apple store, and I couldn't figure out why everything I click shows up as a right click, till the apple genius pointed out that I was touching the right click area. I know I sound stupid, but that just shows you how easy it is to trigger the right click.

Solution is to hold the mouse carefully, but that ends up straining my wrist.

Get a Logitech MX Revolution instead. Best mouse ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.