Is the extra 16GB worth $100?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Michael CM1, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm going to be thinking about this for two darn weeks. I'm used to knowing how much storage I need on my iPhone, so I know there's no such thing as too much storage. I have managed to get by with 32GB by using 128kbps song files, keeping most of my photos off and dumping tons of apps.

Well, I'm curious as the the opinions on a 32GB iPad. I doubt that I will want to put as many songs, movies and TV shows on it at one time because I won't be taking it EVERYWHERE. But the iPad apps are larger, and I just don't know whether I could get by on 16GB. I knew my dad could when I recommended the 16GB one to him. He's retired and pretty much uses it to look at websites and such. I don't think he's nearly as app happy as I am.

So I'd love some input. I really don't think I could throw down $700 for an iPad since I know the next one will probably have Retina display, which I know will be a huge benefit and a good enough reason to upgrade. But I also don't want to feel constrained like I did with my 8GB iPhone for a year.

Also, I don't plan on using the 3G connection because I have an iPhone and should be able to use the personal hotspot connection when AT&T allows it. But the WiFi iPad doesn't have GPS. Does this hurt that much? Does anybody know if I would need to activate a 3G plan to use the GPS? I'm thinking mainly of if Star Walk would be useful at all when I'm out in the middle of nowhere with a telescope.

2. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

as a current 32GB iPad owner, YES!!! the extra memory is very much worth it.

You'll be happy your spent the 100 for it.

3. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I would get at least the 32GB, iPad apps are larger. And now you have the camera storing HD video which eats up lots of storage too. Better to be safe and go with the 32. But if you're only going to do web browsing then 16GB is a safe bet.

4. meder87 macrumors regular

Get the 32 you won't regret it. I'm taking the dive and getting the 64. If the next iPad has retina and other good upgrades then ill sell mine and get the new one. I'll have to take a loss on it but so be it.

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

6. eddieairplanes macrumors newbie

I figure the options with the higher GBs would have a higher resale value when the time comes.