Resolved Is the FireWire to 30-pin cable compatible with iPad 1?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RedCroissant, Jul 30, 2013.

1. RedCroissant, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013

RedCroissant Suspended

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone knew whether or not the FW-30-pin connector cable is compatible with the iPad1(even if it doesn't power it).

Thanks in advance!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No, the last device that it would charge was the iPod Touch 1G.

3. RedCroissant, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013

RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Ok. Thanks again, Intell!! Now I don't have to waste any money on it.

But would it at least transfer data faster than via usb? Or is it not even compatible as far as that goes?

4. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

The firewire cable has no compatibility with the iPad. I have no idea about speed.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It doesn't do data. I believe the iPod 4G was the last iPod to offer FireWire data ability.

6. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

The pins on the dock connector were repurposed, making those old FireWire cables physically incompatible.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The FireWire data and power pins were never purposed, just disused. At the time of the iPod 5, Apple removed the data connection because of the needed space on the logicboard for the FireWire chip. Then with devices after the iPod Touch 1G, removed support for FireWire power because of space and power quality concerns.

8. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Huh, for reason I was under the impression that those pins were being used for video output on later devices.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Video out on the iPod 4 and 5 was done by the headphone jack. On the iPod Touch 1 and iPod 5, it was done by then unused pins.

10. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Can it be, that Apple now uses the defunct FW +12V pins in this connector to provide additional amperage to the huge battery of iPad 3 and up?

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No, the iPads power in the 30 pin connector is only provided by yhe USB's two power pins.

12. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Where do the rumours originate then, that Retina iPad charges faster with it's own supplied cable, than with iPhone/iPod cable?
    People have reported, that using the iPhone cable Retina iPad will require 12h to charge, ie doesn't get full overnight.

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The cables are exactly the same. No difference at all. The power bricks that come with the iPad and iPhone are different, that could be were it was misconstrued from.