Is the front and back the same glass?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by enigma2k, Jun 30, 2010.

1. enigma2k macrumors regular

I am still owning an iPhone 2G and never used any case. My front is still completely scratch free, same goes for my iPad.

I assume that the front glass of the iPhone 4 is the same or better quality than the old iPhone 2G or iPad so I won't buy any protection for it since its scratch-proof.

But whats about the back? Does it have the same quality of glass as the front or is some cheap material that tends to be scratched easily?

2. TitanApe macrumors member

The back glass scratches easy. I would venture to say it is not the same quality as the front.

3. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

almost 100% positive its different. it feels different swiping the back and front glass. i beleive front glass is aluminosilicate glass, and back is just regular chemically strengthened glass.

4. enigma2k thread starter macrumors regular

I have read that Apple states that both glasses are the same. Maybe the first iPhone 4 units have a production flaw?

5. samcraig macrumors P6

or maybe the back doesn't have the oleophobic coating

6. Abarth1200 macrumors regular

I am also curios as to the outcome of this post.

I dont like screen protectors, it takes away the feel of the touch interface and looks crap, even Invisible Shield which I have just applied that cost me £20.

Before putting the protector on I noticed 3 scratches on the back already, I have not done anything out of the norm of using a phone to get these scratches so I hope the front is a different glass.

I know the iphone 3GS had very scratches resistant glass so why change it to a worse glass?

7. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

where have you read that? I have read that apple said both sides are glass and that they use aluminosilicate glass but i have not heard a statement from apple stating that both the front and back glass is aluminosilicate.

8. robby818 macrumors 6502a

The back plate is easily replaceable so at least you can replace it if the scratches drive you nuts.

I as over at the Pasadena store and took a close look at the display iphones. One had two small permanent scratches on the screen. The display phones get handled roughly so I wanted to see how susceptible the screens were to scratching. I was going to put a back protector only, but now I think I will go with the screen protector as well.

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Front and back are gorilla glass and both are coated.

People are assuming that it's the glass that's being scratched. It's not it's the coating.

10. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I'm not sure that it's Gorilla Glass - Apple claims they developed their own glass in their video. I don't think Gorilla Glass creators would allow them to say that.

It is however the same glass on the front and the back.