Is the Fusion Drive 2 different drives?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by peterson40, Oct 23, 2012.

1. peterson40 macrumors newbie

Everyone is saying Apple is just renaming the Hybrid Drive and adding a software feature and calling it fusion... By the looks of the following picture, could it actually be two separate physical drives that the controller sees as one? It looks like the ssd is soldered onto the motherboard and the physical drive is separate. Think we can upgrade the physical drive with another SSD?

[​IMG]

2. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

It might be an msata drive like in the MBPr and MBA's. in which case OWC sells drives.

3. MojoRisinSD macrumors regular

I have been thinking this since the announcement. If I remember correctly the rMBP SSD is actually replaceable, so I would imagine the iMac's SSD will be also. If this is the case, we should be able to potentially go with a 1TB drive at first and add an SSD in the future when the price goes down. This is assuming that it is as easy to get into the new iMac's as the old ones. What do you guys think?

4. sucramdi macrumors member

It is two seperate drives, at least on the mac mini.

5. MojoRisinSD macrumors regular

I just compared images of the rMBP logic board to the new iMac's logic board, it looks like they do use the same type of SSD. Again, it now depends on how easy it is to get into the iMac to add your own SSD. I would imagine once you have the SSD in there, the Fusion setup should be fairly easy considering the success people have already had creating their own.

6. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

I imagine it will be two physical drives, but PS mentionned that it would be regarded as one logical drive within OS X.

Waiting to see how much this option is.

7. hackerwayne macrumors 6502a

hackerwayne

Seems to me its not soldered, more like socketed like those on rMBPs, but they arent MSATA also i think proprietary Apple connector