Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I have had mine for a day and a half now. (1.8 G5) I am very happy with it. My previous mac was a dual 1.42. It seems as quick in everything I have done, and quicker in most things. Seat of the pants it feels to me to be about 10% quicker. However, this is more than I expected until Panther is released. I have been very happy with the upgrade. The quietness of the machine is almost worth it alone. I did not care for the styling of it while looking online. But in person, I think it looks great. So far I am very happy...

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I haven't used it besides messing around at the store, but just for the whole look/feel of it, I think it's a solid product. I too thought it was the unfortunate victim of the ugly stick, but when in person, I was just in awe over the overal polish and attention to detail it has. They seriously did go all out on the design of these systems and every inch of the PowerMac shows this. And yes, it is really as quiet as people say. You seriously do not hear any noise until you take the plastic shield off, and even then, the thing isn't overly loud.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
Originally posted by Catfish_Man
I've actually used a G5, and I can say this to the people earlier in the thread: Quitcher bitchin'! It's great.

I don't think it's bitchin' but more of a good spirited/high strung discussion.

The other day I did go into Apple store(West Nyack) and I don't know but is it me or is this thing HUGE. In that respect, I'll agree that it's a beast.

~e

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I haven't used it besides messing around at the store, but just for the whole look/feel of it, I think it's a solid product. I too thought it was the unfortunate victim of the ugly stick, but when in person, I was just in awe over the overal polish and attention to detail it has. They seriously did go all out on the design of these systems and every inch of the PowerMac shows this. And yes, it is really as quiet as people say. You seriously do not hear any noise until you take the plastic shield off, and even then, the thing isn't overly loud.

I can remember seeing the first pictures of it from MWDC. Since they did not have any webcasts, we were on a site where they would type what was happening. When they announced the new Powermac, we were going nuts. The server was freaking out only adding to the excitement. When we saw the first picture it was deadly silent. We all looked each other and you could tell no one wanted to say it was butt ass ugly. My buddy said, "Wow, that is different", we just left it at that. :eek:

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
Re: SCAM!!!

Originally posted by eclipse525
don't get me wrong(clause)....I think the G5 is probably the best thing out there BUT I'm sick of the tiny jumps in speed and performance. The public is way more educated when it comes to computers than they were 10 or even 5 years ago and still, everyone bites at all these so called advancements. Why in the hell are they jumpin from 800mHz to 1gHz. In the grand scheme of things it's small and doesn't really make a difference. If you can't make significant jumps, DON'T do them until you can. It seems like it's all about SQUEEZing as much money out of the publics pockets as possible. Maybe most people don't need that much power but it seem like that with all the developements like new OS's, gaming, video streaming, DVD, etc., the average person is going to have no choice but to upgrade in order to keep up with the damand of these apps BUT again the jumps the industry is making as far as chips/chipsets go, are stale. I wish people would just not buy into the hype of a new product and really think about whether or not it really is worth the hype. Perhaps, if people questioned more, maybe, just maybe the industry would actually come out with truly breakthrough upgrades/products. I believe this go for both platforms. This is just my little Opin. Would love to hear your views on it.

~e

ok, if 42% clock speed increase (1.42 GHz to 2 GHz chip), 500% bus increase (167 MHz to 1 GHz), 32-bit to 64-bit architecture switch, etc., etc., etc. are not big enough jumps for you, then I'm afraid that no one will satisfy you.

This is probably one of the largest specification jumps that any processor line has seen in a long time. It's the kind of jump you only see when you totally change your architecture, from the ground up. So it's not the kind of jump you'll see from Intel or AMD any time soon, because they've got too much invested in their 25-year-old x86 architecture...

No offense, but somehow I think you're just trolling. And if you are, I should apologize to everyone for feeding the troll.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Originally posted by nospleen
I can remember seeing the first pictures of it from MWDC. Since they did not have any webcasts, we were on a site where they would type what was happening. When they announced the new Powermac, we were going nuts. The server was freaking out only adding to the excitement. When we saw the first picture it was deadly silent. We all looked each other and you could tell no one wanted to say it was butt ass ugly. My buddy said, "Wow, that is different", we just left it at that. :eek:

I remember people complaining that they didn't want to have to show off their G5s when they got them since they'd look so ugly and shameful...I'm sure now that you have it in person you'd be glad to point out your shiney new aluminum work of art. It's like the Subaru Impreza...damn did that look ass ugly in pictures, but in person it just makes you smile.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I remember people complaining that they didn't want to have to show off their G5s when they got them since they'd look so ugly and shameful...I'm sure now that you have it in person you'd be glad to point out your shiney new aluminum work of art. It's like the Subaru Impreza...damn did that look ass ugly in pictures, but in person it just makes you smile.

Uh hem, http://homepage.mac.com/emsdad/G5/PhotoAlbum9.html :D
The WRX's are sweeeeeeet. I would love to get one, but I am in the market for a minivan. (there is something wrong with being 25 and having to drive a minivan :( )

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by dcb
You know what I dislike about MacRumors (and you types of people in general)? You have a caniption when someone has anything to say contrary to your OPINION. You won't allow anyone else to have an OPINION unless it jives with your way of thinking. It is okay for you to speculate and hyperbolize, but as soon as someone else does the same...you go on the attack. The poster was asking for peoples opinions. Grow up and learn to have someone disagree with you!

:rolleyes: Good grief

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Originally posted by nospleen
Uh hem, http://homepage.mac.com/emsdad/G5/PhotoAlbum9.html :D
The WRX's are sweeeeeeet. I would love to get one, but I am in the market for a minivan. (there is something wrong with being 25 and having to drive a minivan :( )

At least minivans these days are more exciting than the boxes my parents used to drive when I was little with my sisters. If I were stuck having to buy a family car, I'd go for a WRX wagon or an Audi Avant. There's just something about a nice wagon that just seems refreshing, but maybe that's just because I am sick of all the SUVs that have been infesting our roads these days.

As for the pictures, it looks like you've got yourself a nice system. I saw the coolest desk a few weeks ago that would be perfect for a G5. It was drilled/brushed aluminum with a thick glass desktop with a very clean industrial look to it. The glass was ever so slightly smoked, too. I can just picture a G5, a 20" display, an iSight, and a pair of sound sticks/iSub with that desk and having it all just flow so well. It's just a shame I am stuck in my dorm room with all of 5 inches of personal space and a 80 year old POS desk to work with.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
Originally posted by dcb
You know what I dislike about MacRumors (and you types of people in general)? You talk about...oh, sorry let me be original.

You know what I dislike about MacRumors (and you types of people in general)? You have a caniption when someone has anything to say contrary to your OPINION. You won't allow anyone else to have an OPINION unless it jives with your way of thinking. It is okay for you to speculate and hyperbolize, but as soon as someone else does the same...you go on the attack. The poster was asking for peoples opinions. Grow up and learn to have someone disagree with you!

First of all, you probably need to go here.

Moving right along...I tend to see that people on this site back up their opinions (when serious, or trying to make a controversial point) with facts and figures. eclipse525 citing a non-existent and unimportant 800 to 1000 MHz jump was both non-factual and nonsensical. It was not pertinent to this discussion, because such a leap did not occur with the G5.

People who say things that don't make sense will always be criticized here. This is illustrated by the fact that I am criticizing you.

If you don't like this site, feel free to check out these other lovely sites:
http://www.microsoft.com
http://www.dell.com
http://www.hp.com
http://securityupdates4lifer0x0rz.com

chadfromdallas

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2003
It's like the Subaru Impreza...damn did that look ass ugly in pictures, but in person it just makes you smile.

Ugly in person too. Those things have no beauty what so ever :eek:

And yes, the G5 is worth it, if you like macs and have the money. :D

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Maybe you should think about this another way.

The current G5s are a lot like the original PowerMacs: it's a new architecture--a transitional architecture.

Yes, the 1.8 and dual 2.0 GHz machines have plenty of value for the price but they're just something to get it all started.

It was only when the PCI-based machines came along that PowerMacs were here to stay. (We could have used Mac OS X at the time.)

The next group of machines will probably have new packaging for memory, QIMMs, if you will, just as we had DIMMs replacing SIMMs. I don't expect throughput to improve, but it's more than likely that PCI-X cards will start to proliferate. Perhaps, it will be similar to how the iMac affected the production of USB devices.

Is the G5 worth it? Sure, but the value is going to be a whole lot better later.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
Re: Re: SCAM!!!

Originally posted by themadchemist
No offense, but somehow I think you're just trolling. And if you are, I should apologize to everyone for feeding the troll.

Yes, to some extend I am trolling. From time to time it needs to be done in order to really see the full picture. By reading some of the other postings is a sort of education. I truly enjoy and at times am totally entertained by some of these postings. It's important to hear as many angles as possible about a topic. Thank you for your contribution. Like I said in a previous posting, if I had the cash I would pick one up in a second BUT I do agree with the following posting.

Originally posted by bousozoku
Is the G5 worth it? Sure, but the value is going to be a whole lot better later.

~e

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
There's always something better over the horizon. Just buy what you can afford when you need it and enjoy. Nothing you buy will be top of the line for long.

(Although I have to say, I'm pretty happy with the way my 1Ghz PB has been top-end for almost a year now. Much, much longer than I expected it would be:D )

dcb

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2003
Moving right along...I tend to see that people on this site back up their opinions (when serious, or trying to make a controversial point) with facts and figures. eclipse525 citing a non-existent and unimportant 800 to 1000 MHz jump was both non-factual and nonsensical. It was not pertinent to this discussion, because such a leap did not occur with the G5.

You want some facts? Or do you want someone to rave and rant over the obvious marketing hype.

1. The SPEC results that Apple is claiming is entirely misleading. The fact of the matter is, the test was commissioned by Apple, AND was not a fair representation of the Dell. Here is an excerpt from Tom Yager's Blog at Infoworld:

"The test results are invalidated by severely lopsided testing conditions. Among them, Apple used a prototype G5 running its special GNU compiler and an unreleased version of OS X. The Dells used shipping hardware, vanilla GNU compilers and Red Hat 9.

None of this would be a problem if Apple and Veritest didn't claim the tests were objective. A vendor expects commissioned testing to conclude that the vendor's equipment is superior. I would expect this if I were a vendor, and I wouldn't publish results that put my product in a bad light. But I would examine the positive results closely to ensure that they would stand up to scrutiny. Neither Dell nor Intel will have trouble knocking holes in this report, if they don't simply ignore it because it was a commissioned test.

An apples-to-apples test, so to speak, would require that Dell, like Apple, be allowed to tune its systems and software for best-case performance. Dell's published results on the SPEC site--regarded as the definitive repository for SPEC results--are best-case. They're far better than the results cited by Veritest in the Apple report. That bit takes no special knowledge to ferret out."

2. The G5 is WAY overpriced if you look at comparable machines that are arguably faster than the G5 under fair testing conditions. (Dell Dimension 8300)

What else is there to oogle over? We can say it is sexy. We can say that Apple spent a lot of time engineering this machine. We can say that it will be a solid computer (I don't argue with that). But as for it being the biggest and the best, (and claiming that before the majority of us have even used it) I doubt it or better yet, I will wait and see before I get excited. The truth of the matter is, whatever way you look at it, Apple is catching up (Not to say that Apple can't or won't surpass Dell's in the future).

As for me, I will pay attention to the Apple Hype when thy show a little integrety.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Hey, I'm with you. I'll be more than happy to wait until the dust settles before deciding if the G5 is all it's hyped to be. But at least we are arguing about whether macs are competitive now! Used to be a no brainer.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
"Integrity"....being the key word. By not playing on a level playing field, just to make sensational claims, is just plain wrong and embarassing to the people loyal to the platform.

~e

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.