Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dudeslife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
Dumped Airmail this week, not really because of the subscription, but because they were looking for handouts without fixing year old bugs in the iOS version so I dumped both iOS and Mac. If the developers were more attentive, I would gladly drop $10 a year. Has anyone tried Thunderbird? Any other suggestions? or is everyone using Apple Mail? Thanks for any info.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I use Apple mail, and have been ever since it launched.

I have been happy with it, other than it sometimes label mail as "junk" from addresses that I have been receiving mail from for many years. All of a sudden, the mail app would decide it is junk.

Overall it is good, but the only other mail app I have used recently was Outlook.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I've been using Mac and iOS Mail for over a decade now, and happy with them: my email needs are simple, and not getting a ton of it. And no subscriptions, licenses to buy, etc.

I have used Thunderbird in the past, and was happy with it as well, but, it's been over a decade since last used it, so not sure what, if anything, new in it.

Reactions: artfossil

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
I use Apple mail, and have been ever since it launched.

I have been happy with it, other than it sometimes label mail as "junk" from addresses that I have been receiving mail from for many years. All of a sudden, the mail app would decide it is junk.

Overall it is good, but the only other mail app I have used recently was Outlook.
Same here. Sometimes it acts up but it meets my needs.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I use Microsoft Outlook but only because I have an O365 account that I want to use. Apple Mail works also with O365 though, but I prefer the functionality of Outlook. The same applies also on iOS and iPadOS. For people that just want a good mail client, Apple Mail is more than enough though.

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
I got a new iMac recently and decided to keep to a minimum the number of apps that I loaded onto it. So I switched from Chrome to Safari and from Outlook to Apple Mail to see how well they would perform.

So far, the change has been seamless and I haven't seen a need to download third party versions of these apps. These days all browsers have much the same capabilities, as do most mail readers.

Reactions: jwolf6589

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
I’ve used Apple Mail for my iCloud e-mail address – certainly my preferred client.

I don’t enjoy the way it fully integrates multiple accounts to a unified inbox, though, so I use Spark for my Gmail account. (It certainly makes Gmail look and feel much nicer than its native app or web interface.)

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Before I got a Mac (back in 2013) I used Windows exclusively. For mail, I used Thunderbird as I could tailor it how I liked. I'd been using Thunderbird for years.

When I moved to MacOS, I initially used Apple Mail. Didn't like it but forced myself to use it for a week. Still didn't like it so moved back to Thunderbird. Wow, Thunderbird looked so old fashioned! Switched back to Apple Mail and have used it ever since.

I tried Spark on my phone, realised I didn't need any of the functionality it offered and that I trusted Apple more with my IMAP passwords than Spark, so changed back.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
I used Apple Mail on macOS and iOS for a long time until it started taking my mail accounts offline several times a day. So then I switched to Airmail on both platforms and was happy with that until their recent switch to subscription on iOS. So now I'm back to Apple Mail on macOS and the Gmail app on iOS. So far, so good. I just wish Apple would add some more functionality to Mail, to bring it up to par with most other email apps.

dudeslife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
For the past few days on the Mac I have been using both Apple Mail and Outlook. I prefer Outlook but the fact there is no way that I have found to quickly send mails to Omnifocus 3. I don't really want to have to forward them thru the mail. At least Apple Mail has the services menu in lieu of a share sheet to process mails to OF3 and Fantastical. I have googled Outlook to OF3 scripts and it looks like a big non functioning mess with nobody actually sharing a working one.. it seems there is some difference in OF3 that renders the OF2 scripts useless. I am starting to hate e-mail on all Apple devices.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
For the past few days on the Mac I have been using both Apple Mail and Outlook. I prefer Outlook but the fact there is no way that I have found to quickly send mails to Omnifocus 3. I don't really want to have to forward them thru the mail. At least Apple Mail has the services menu in lieu of a share sheet to process mails to OF3 and Fantastical. I have googled Outlook to OF3 scripts and it looks like a big non functioning mess with nobody actually sharing a working one.. it seems there is some difference in OF3 that renders the OF2 scripts useless. I am starting to hate e-mail on all Apple devices.

So just take your hatred out on all your Apple devices, then, and buy a PC. Job done.

dudeslife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
So just take your hatred out on all your Apple devices, then, and buy a PC. Job done.

apple devices have other uses than low power e-mail. thanks for the suggestion tho.
[doublepost=1563555135][/doublepost]
I've heard that Apple is crapping all over Mail in Catalina by turning it into a clone of the iOS Mail app.

the iOS app is even more worthless than the Mac version. 2019 and no share sheet unless you are selecting/copying text. e-mail arrives and then... nothing. don't expect to send it to fantastical or omnifocus or evernote or anywhere...

poor omnifocus and evernote have to set up e-mail addresses for you to forward your e-mail into their apps.. apple at its most pathetic.

Last edited:

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
I use Apple mail app for my private account and MS Outlook for my business account. Both work perfectly for my needs.. That's all I need :)

Reactions: jwolf6589

dudeslife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
On my Mac I am using Mozilla Thunderbird for my secondary accounts. On my iOS devices, I am using the Edison app. Both have notifications, badges, sounds, etc. turned off to minimize distractions.

how is that Thunderbird. It looks sharp. Are you able to share mails into OF3 or Fantastical?

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I’ve used Apple Mail for my iCloud e-mail address – certainly my preferred client.

I don’t enjoy the way it fully integrates multiple accounts to a unified inbox, though, so I use Spark for my Gmail account. (It certainly makes Gmail look and feel much nicer than its native app or web interface.)

Did you know you can hide the unified inbox?

In Mail go to Mailboxes. Tap Edit. De-select the check-box to the left of All Inboxes.

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
Did you know you can hide the unified inbox?

Thank you, you're right – my fault for being brief and vague. (I've also been talking about Mail for Mac, if that wasn't clear, but I think that's true there too.)

I think what I meant was that this intermingling of accounts seems to pervade the app; even if you do that, Mail surfaces one logical "Sent" box, you can choose your outgoing server on a per-message basis or rely on one if the other fails. That might work if I was trying to juggle multiple e-mail addresses while pining for a single one. Instead, I want those accounts isolated in their own atom-tight clean rooms.

oikos

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2013
Apple mail Blows!!
I use Outlook-never lets me down! :D

Agreed about Mail. I never have figured out how to sort messages in it - utterly useless.
Outlook has had a few problems over the years, but the difference is like an F15 vs a hot air ballon. Not even close.

Reactions: user_xyz

purplealert

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2018
Devon, UK
I get a lot of mail, use many mail accounts and I find that Apple Mail simply can't handle the volume that I receive or the filtering I perform on it to make everything manageable. I always found apple mail got bogged down in the indexing of messages and I dislike the way it inlines images with no sensible way to treat them as attachments properly when I receive messages from apple mail users.

I now use postbox, https://postbox-inc.com, which I believe was originally based on thunderbird. It's paid for, cross platform and very powerful. I like the way it handles multiple account views; the tagging and filtering are second to none. If you have complex email needs then I suggest you try it out. I have no affiliation to them other than being a very happy customer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.