Is the 'genius' at the apple store accurate?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by alter--, Jan 9, 2014.

1. alter-- macrumors newbie

Hi, I've recently been having trouble with my iPhone 4S; the camera as well as flash light weren't working. I took it to the Genius Bar, and was told I had set off the "middle liquid indicator", subsequently I was denied replacement. I've never wet my phone, and it has a sturdy case. I looked into the indicators and both the headphone and port ones were white. Whilst there I was told they "opened my phone and the middle indicator was red". So my question is, is there an internal indicator and how, if possible, can it be checked? Many thanks in advance :)

2. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Well as far as I know and thought I knew the wet indacaters are in the charger and headphone jacks. But if your phone was in some where very humid like next to a real hot shower it will make them go on. As far as fixing your phone the only thing I think you should do is hold the home button and the lock button until you see the apple logo.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... there is a moisture sensor inside. See the pink dot in the photo below.

[​IMG]

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Uhm…you can't seriously be suggesting that a hard reset will solve defective hardware problems…can you?!

5. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

You can... What else would you do.

6. eyoungren, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

So, you're saying that if a hardware part breaks on an iPhone that a hard reset will fix that part and make it start working again? If a mic, a speaker, or any other part goes bad, or a a logicboard fails, don't take it to Apple to have it fixed or replaced - just do a hard reset?

OK. What happens if your home or sleep buttons break?

Take it to an Apple store to have it fixed or replaced.

The engine blows out on my car, I don't put more gas in my tank and expect the engine to start up again. It's dead, I get the engine replaced - or buy a new car.

7. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Near a shower, Sauna with steam can set it off OP. Has been reported on this forum, so this could happen to anyone, not just water.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere