Is the glossy led MacBook pro screen the same as the screen on the air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whitedragon101, Oct 11, 2008.

1. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

I have been trying to decide which version of the MacBook pro to get matte or glossy (yes I am waiting for the new one on the 14th :) ). I went to a shop and tried to compare a MacBook pro glossy and matte but they only had matte. So I lined up a MacBook pro led matte and macbook air. I loved the screen on the air.

Since the MacBook air is also led and glossy would the MacBook pro glossy look the same just a different size?

2. Snowcat001 macrumors regular

About 24h ago I did the exact same thing because of the exact same reason :D
    Though I did not ask myself that question. Good question, hope to see some answers!

3. azharc macrumors member

I would assume the glossy Air is the same as the glossy MBP - glossy-ness is simply a coating on the display which determines its reflectance, I don't see why Apple would use two different coatings. It would just ruin the lives of people who need color accuracy (but most of those people use matte anyways).

Just my thoughts. You should probably wait around for someone who has both.

4. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

The glossy actually isn't a coating but in fact forgoes a matte coating on the screen. Compare a glossy and matte MacBook Pro in the sunlight, the matte will be washed out and the glossy will be viewable, even at 0 brightness. I am not saying one is better then the other, but I am trying to set the facts straight.

5. yaemes macrumors member

the macbook pro screen can display millions of colors whereas the macbook air and macbook screens can display somewhat less. i had a matte MBP and upgraded to the glossy MBA and i have to say, I like glossy better. only thing good about matte is you never have to clean it. glossy is a big pain to keep clean.

6. deriko100 macrumors 6502

7. whitedragon101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the replies guys but does anyone know if the pro glossy led screen is the same as the air screen?

8. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

9. whitedragon101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

when I say the same I mean the quality of the display not the size or resolution. For example if you compare the MacBook to the air, the MacBook looks dim, washed out and reflections are higher. Probably in part because the screen is not led backlit.

I would like to know if anyone has seen a MacBook pro led glossy and an air glossy. So they can say yep the pro looks just as good just a bigger screen or nope not quite as good because.....

10. yaemes macrumors member

yes they are the same. it is every bit as bright and crisp as the air. the MBP screen is a little better as it can display more colors natively than the MBA which uses dithering to achieve the appearance that it can display the same amount of colors as the MBP. the macbook screen you were looking at was probably not led backlit, it was probably the old kind that used mini fluorescent lighting. the air and the pro will both be better

11. nickcliborne macrumors regular

Washed out on the matte screen. Oh come on have you actually seen a matte in the sunlight.

I sit outside on my deck and code without any problems.

12. whitedragon101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have exhaustively read many many glossy vs matte forums and been into 2 shops comparing the macbook pro matte and air glossy. The bottom line for me is I love the glossy, it just makes everything look great and I don't like the blur caused by the matte screen. But there are so many dire warnings from people owning matte macbook pros it seems I will instantly regret it and get eye stain etc. So my question is:

1) If I get a glossy screen and realise in day to day use the reflections drive me mad what is the best matte screen cover, and how good are they?
    2) If I get a macbook pro glossy from the apple online store, do they have a no quibble policy where I can return it and get matte?

13. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I don't know about the online store and return policy (I guess I'd have to read them online...) but depending on which state you're in there is a period of time when you can return goods (in original shape, packing, etc) without cause, usually 3 days. I heard (somewhere) that at an Apple retail store you can return things within 14 days, so I guess you could do an exchange if the screen wasn't right, as long as you keep things looking new, all original packing, don't register it, etc. until you're sure it's what you want.

PS: loving my MBP 15.4" matte LED backlit display. Can't see why anyone wouldn't like it... but glossy seems to be the fashion look these days I guess. Let's just hope the matte option remains in the next version.