Is the Gold color for the iphone 5S all the same?

KimJonNumberUn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2013
I swear when i exchanged my 16 for a 32gb the gold color wasnt as "vibrant" compared to my original one.

IT seems a bit dull. usually shining it aginst sunlight or something brings out the gold more too but not so much with the one i have ....

anyone else have something similar or are my eyes just screwed?

Señor

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2013
United States
I swear when i exchanged my 16 for a 32gb the gold color wasnt as "vibrant" compared to my original one.

IT seems a bit dull. usually shining it aginst sunlight or something brings out the gold more too but not so much with the one i have ....

anyone else have something similar or are my eyes just screwed?
Happy to be of service!

-

No, I never heard of something like this before.

Antgb84

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2013
Never thought I'd own gold but the reality is I got one just cuzz it was a good deal and I don't really care for it. It's in an Apple leather case anyway. The champagne would be a better name for it it does look dull and rather flamboyant. Silver is way more Apple like.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
There's always variance in production. I had two ipad airs side-by-side (both white) and one was a clean white, whereas one had a yellow tint (making it look mother-of-pearl).

Look at all the retina screens: some are white, some yellow, and some uneven.

It's completely possible one gold finish looks different.

The genius-bar swap on my iphone 5 (slate) looked diff compared to my original. Original had this titanium glow on the chamfered edges whereas the replacement was completely black.

KimJonNumberUn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2013
There's always variance in production. I had two ipad airs side-by-side (both white) and one was a clean white, whereas one had a yellow tint (making it look mother-of-pearl).

Look at all the retina screens: some are white, some yellow, and some uneven.

It's completely possible one gold finish looks different.

The genius-bar swap on my iphone 5 (slate) looked diff compared to my original. Original had this titanium glow on the chamfered edges whereas the replacement was completely black.
should have kept the orignal one I had opps....:(

ah well, best not go on a exchange streak I suppose? :p

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Champagne is a brand, Apple wouldn't have been able to use it without legal implications ;)
Actually it is the term used exclusively for sparkling wines that come from Champagne and are produced under the rules of the appellation. It means the sparkling wine was produced in the Champagne region of France employing the méthod champenoise.

In most countries the appellation "Champagne" is restricted, and cannot be used as a designation for any other sparkling wine.

It is not, however, a brand. And it is a color...so Apple can use the term, as can anyone else, to describe that particular color. :D

Really...much more than anyone wanted to know...The Annoying Pedant Strikes Again!:p

;)

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Actually it is the term used exclusively for sparkling wines that come from Champagne and are produced under the rules of the appellation. It means the sparkling wine was produced in the Champagne region of France employing the méthod champenoise.

In most countries the appellation "Champagne" is restricted, and cannot be used as a designation for any other sparkling wine.

It is not, however, a brand. And it is a color...so Apple can use the term, as can anyone else, to describe that particular color. :D

Really...much more than anyone wanted to know...The Annoying Pedant Strikes Again!:p

;)
I surely will not make a mistake like this again :D

virginblue4

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
heres a pic i should ave posted the pic in the first place
Looks normal to me. Under some lighting conditions, gold can be very subtle and difficult to distinguish from silver.
As you can see here. Same phone but as you can see, they look totally different depending on angle. The first photo could easily be mistaken for silver.

Attachments

Last edited:

KimJonNumberUn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2013
As you can see here. Same phone but as you can see, they look totally different depending on angle. The first photo could easily be mistaken for silver.
you rock your iphone with just a sleeve? u got balls

thanks for taking the time to shoot a couple pics for comparison

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
you rock your iphone with just a sleeve? u got balls

thanks for taking the time to shoot a couple pics for comparison
Cases are for wimps. :p

I kid, but I prefer the feel of naked. Also, this thread just rekindled my excitement. Just purchased a gold 5S (have space gray currently, bleck) last night. Should be here this week!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.