Is the gold iPhone colouring considered chavvy/tacky?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dusterbob, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Dusterbob macrumors newbie

Just wondering as I'm considering what colour iPhone 6s to possibly get.

2. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

It's a muted gold, not too tacky. I'd say it's up to personal preference.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

4. ARizz44 macrumors 6502

ARizz44

The gold, and rose gold, options tend to change in appearance based on lighting more than silver and space gray. How they look one moment may change the next. Chavvy or tacky? I don't think so at all.

Are you planning on using a case? If you are, and it is not a clear case, then really I think your focus should be more on white vs black faceplate.

Edit: I see you have another thread tackling the white vs black issue lol. Just go with your heart man. One of the options has to speak to you more than the others.

5. S.T.A.R. macrumors regular

S.T.A.R.

Do you care more about what you like or what other people think? I prefer the gold but you should get what you like since you have to live with it.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

7. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

I think gold is always a bit Chavvy. But then I'm a dyed-in-the-wool space gray kind of guy.

8. pearphone7 macrumors newbie

pearphone7

To me, yes. I never got the 'Rose Gold' obsession either. Ultimately though, can anything with an Apple logo really be tacky?

9. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I have no idea what "chavvy" is, but I'd advise talking to your friends and/or life partners, as they're the ones that will judge you and mock you when you're not around if you get the wrong color of phone. Anonymous forum users are the least of your worries.

C

10. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

The gold is subtle compared to HTC and Samsung's implementation. I especially like how the Gold looks on the 5s compared to the 6 and 6s!

11. skiltrip macrumors 68030

All depends if you wanna spend the next year staring at white or black. Get past that question first. If the answer is black, you're done. If it's white, and you don't like pink, decide whether you are a gold or silver person. Most of us already have a good idea about that.

12. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The blingy, shiny gold on the i5/5S was chavvy, but the matt and muted gold on the i6/6S is very nice in my opinion. The only two colours I would consider are silver and gold.

13. the caveman macrumors 6502

Chavvy as hell (i had to look up up what chav meant lol)

14. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

I really liked it on the 5S (unfortunately couldn't get hold of one) but didn't really like it on my 6, I think they changed the colour of it between the 2 models.

15. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Want of a black bezel makes the choice for me.

16. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

I think it is very chavvy and tacky yes but each to their own.

17. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I'll let you know as soon as I finish googling the word "chavvy"

18. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Are you asking we forum members you haven't met (Strangers) what you should buy ? Do you need hand holding all your life ? Good grief.

19. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Take a glance around you at anyone with a cell phone and tell us what color it is. Without a case you can almost never tell unless the face is pointing outward and even then you have to look closely. I get that people want a specific color but in the end you're really the only one who will ever see it. Personally, I've never let this dictate my purchase one way or the other.

20. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

It's tacky as hell but whatever, to each their own.

21. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Depends on who you ask. If you can't tell if it is or not then ask someone with a trustworthy sense of aesthetics instead of polling random people. Chavvy/tacky is really a matter of the person -- not color.

22. venomgt95 macrumors 6502

venomgt95

I think the Gold is sophisticated. The 5S pulls it off perfectly, hence why it's my ideal iPhone.

23. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

Yes, its way too tacky and over the top. I'm waiting for something more subdued like a metal-flake orange iPhone with pink flames down the back, green mirrored sequins and purple trim around the edges, and an LED lit apple logo on the back that pulses different colors continually.

24. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Subtle.