Is the GPS free?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sk8mash, Jun 9, 2008.

1. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

So who understands this? Does it use up your data to use GPS, or is it all done through the satellites like a tomtom? Just thinking of the unlockies.

2. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

The A-GPS in the iphone uses satellites, the tower and wi-fi to determine your connection. It uses the tower/wifi sites to get a initial fix and tell the phone what satellites to look for.

3. sk8mash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Soooo does that mean you would have to have 3g or edge turned on?

4. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

You shouldn't have to have either turned on. GPS is ran through a dedicated chip.

I seem to be mistaken. See below.

5. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Yes. The maps themselves will be downloaded via data connection.

6. sk8mash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

From this im gathering that no one really knows :D

7. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Assuming you are using a app that doesn't need data to download a map then it will just take much longer (A minute or two vs. seconds ) to get a location fix.

8. vega07 macrumors 65816

will the 3G iphone have voice turn-by-turn directions? without voice commands, GPS is useless to me. I don't want to drive and look at my phone CONSTANTLY, waiting for the street where I turn to come.

9. sk8mash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Ok, I will simplify.

I have no data plan. If I open maps, and tell it to locate me via GPS, will I get raped by data charges?

10. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

Raped might be a strong word, but in short, yes.

If you open Google Maps, it has to download the maps from somewhere. GPS satellites don't send maps, they just send a signal that the chip in your phone will interpret and display a location.

11. jimf123 macrumors member

Gps

I had a nokia n80 and nokia made maps free to download. However, if you wanted turn by turn voice navigation (ie a voice telling you turn left/right when you reached a turning for example) then that was a one off payment for (I think) 3 years...I have read others saying GPS on the iphone is too small, but in my experience, GPS on the old n80 with it's tiny screen was fine for me, so I see no problems with the large iphone screen...

I guess we have to wait for details re who will provide maps etc and at what cost...

12. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

For the GPS itself? No.
    For the images Google Maps downloads to show you where you are? Yes.

13. motoxpress macrumors 6502

My question is if the GPS feature is a h/w -s/w combination or s/w only?

-mx

14. jimf123 macrumors member

software as the hardware is built in to the new phone

15. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

One thing that will be interesting to see is how at&t deals with the GPS issues. For example, on a blackberry the GPS works out of the box and is free (of course data is necessary to download map data). But, there are numerous applications that simply use GPS data to provide speed, directions, elevation, etc., and even to save tracks so that they can be viewed later on google earth and other apps.

However, at&t goes out of their way to disable the native blackberry maps application because they want to sell people subscriptions to telenav at an extra $9.99/month. Google maps is free, and I expect to remain free on the iPhone, but look out for at&t trying to prey on stupid people by selling them additional gps apps.

16. hotzenplotz macrumors regular