Is the GPU switching problem ever going to be fixed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ozreth, Jul 1, 2010.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

So for awhile I was following all of the to do about the GPU switching. Eventually I figured I would just deal with it and check back a month or so down the road. So since I've been out of the loop I was wondering if anybody can update me?

I've been using gfxcardstatus and it is very useful but would love to apple to just give us an update.

Whats the word? Thanks : )

2. lopoz macrumors regular

3. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

The one where the most ridiculous and mundane programs trigger the Nvidia GPU.

4. lopoz macrumors regular

Isn't that because devs are using frameworks they shouldn't use for those tasks?

One thing that does bug me, is that when you quit an app resulting in switching of the gfx card from discrete to integrated, the disappearing animation of the app's dock icon stutters (due to the gfx card switching)

5. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Im not really sure on the details about it, but that makes sense. I just hate that I cant use Google Chrome unless I am plugged in. : (

6. DanBUK macrumors regular

I can't see a problem that gfxCardStatus doesn't fix.

7. lopoz macrumors regular

Hmm, I don't really follow.. gfxCardStatus doesn't fix anything, it just reports the status of the gfx card :p

8. mansanas macrumors regular

why dont u try clicking on the gfxcardstatus icon...

but ya, apple needs to fix this problem themselves, and google chrome too

9. DanBUK macrumors regular

The latest version allows instant switching. :cool:

Attached Files:

10. lopoz macrumors regular

Don't be such a smart-ass. The only thing that does is fix the card to a certain state, not the underlying problem the OP is talking about.

11. lopoz macrumors regular

I was aware of gfxCardStatus allowing switching, but, as I mentioned in my previous post, it doesn't fix the underlying problem. Thanks for the info though :)

12. mansanas macrumors regular

dont be so sensitive, from this statement, "it just reports the status of the gfx card" it seemed like you didnt know how to use the feature.
    i was trying to help and use a little sarcastic sense of humor. so chill out bro.

and if you read the second part of my post, "but ya, apple needs to fix this problem themselves, and google chrome too" ull notice that i agree with what ur saying.

13. lopoz macrumors regular

I might've overreacted. It's just that sarcasm (emotion in general) works really badly over the internet.. And I'm so sick of noobs parading these fora and smart-mouthing people (I'm not saying you're a noob, just pointing out that they are present). Sorry about the misunderstanding.