Is the Harmony ONE > 550 for usability? Cost VS functionality analysis?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by rotarypower101, Jan 31, 2009.

1. rotarypower101 macrumors regular

rotarypower101

Hi guys, need some ideas and advice about getting a new harmony remote.

We had the harmony 550, but the screen has mysteriously been broken, looking for suggestions on which model to replace it with. As anyone knows that has purchased one, the harmony remote has not become so much of a luxury, but literally a necessity!

Wondering if anyone that has the harmony one would recommend it over the 550 and for what reasons if any?

The 550 worked wonderfully for us for functionality, other that the setup software, it met all our needs.
    The only thing I disliked about the 550 once it was setup properly, was the lacquer coating on the control pad face started chipping off, which made it look old and disgusting…

Does anyone that has had both or can make an argument why one would want to pony up the extra cash for the harmony one other than the touch screen interface?

How is the feel on the harmony one comparatively to the 550, do you find the touch screen beneficial in any way other than “cool factor”?

My instinct tells me to just get a new 550, but I thought it might be informative to see what others thought about the prospect of spoiling ourselves just a little since the TV has become such a centerpiece to our whole entertainment system.
    Anyone spring for the harmony one and feel it is definitely the right way to go?
    Also where are the best places to find the harmony one lower than MSRP? Amazon has them for $180 any better deals to be had?

BTW lovin my TV, the days of grimy fingerprints and scratched media are almost gone!

2. scgf macrumors member

My number one reason for preferring the Harmony 555 over the One is that the 555 has coloured buttons which here in the UK are used for so many things. The difference between the 550 and the 555 is the coloured buttons. On the One they are replicated on the touch screen.

I have had both remotes. I really hated the touch screen - using it went like this: I would point the remote to the device I needed to control and attempt to press the right place on the screen. Given that I was now looking at screen at an angle I invariably pressed the wrong button. The labels are too deep in relation to the surface of the touch screen, if you know what I mean, so you get a similar distortion to what you see when you put your finger in a fish tank. (Does that make sense?).

I sold my Harmony One on eBay.

3. robotartfashion macrumors 6502

why not get the 880? Very similar functionality to the One, rechargeable base station,

I have one and it's great, I just bought it from BuyDig.com a couple of days ago for $99.00 w/free shipping

Something to consider

4. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

5. rotarypower101 thread starter macrumors regular

rotarypower101

Yes I know exactly what you mean, good thing to here before springing for the extra cost of the ONE.
    Thanks, great feedback.

Which one is the 555? The only ones I see that have colored buttons are the Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360, and the newer 510 on the bottom.

What are the colored buttons for in the UK that we don’t use over on this side of the pond?
    What do you primarily use the colored buttons for that makes it advantageous?

6. rotarypower101 thread starter macrumors regular

rotarypower101

But for you what was the advantage to the 880 over any of the others?

The color screen? (to me this is sorta fluff)
    The full activitys list viewable on screen? (this would be nice, but we only use 4 activitys )
    The charging base? (I run almost all our small appliances of NiMh, so I am set up to recharge , and have ample supply’s on tap)

What really did it for you that made you choose the 880 over any of the others?

7. rotarypower101 thread starter macrumors regular

rotarypower101

100% agree, I actually had a whole paragraph typed out about the iphone, then decided against including it, as it really deviated from the issue at hand. (but I wait for the day when someone more clever than I accomplishes this!)

But since you brought it up…..i am not sure how this would work without a whole new appliance thrown into the mix, it would have to be a wifi enabled infrared/UHF repeater.

8. robotartfashion macrumors 6502

I picked the 880 because of the price, I wanted the activities features and rechargeable battery of the One but didn't care about the touch screen (wasn't worth another 100 or so bucks for me) I also figured (and so far rightly so) that by leaving the remote on the charging base I would be less likely to run into those hectic "where's the remote???" moments :)

I've never tried the 550 though so I can't say it's not a decent choice

9. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

My brother has the 550, he loves it. Never had any problems with installing, or linking the other hardware with it. I haven't played with any of the other remotes so i really couldn't suggest them.

10. chadamorrill macrumors 6502

I've had the 880 for a while now, and my father-in-law just got a One for Christmas. Gotta admit, I LOVE the new touchscreen. The resolution is far better than the 880.

11. carlgo macrumors 68000

The One is so slick and modern, as is the recharger. Smooth and nice buttons, turns on when you pick it up, illuminates when it is dark. Oh, and my wife, despite her best attempts, has actually learned to use it. That is a recommendation for sure.

You will have this thing for a long time, so a the One will cost .00001 cents per use, versus .0001 for old technology.

12. chadamorrill macrumors 6502

Good point, the charging contacts on the One are MUCH better than on the 880/890 series.

13. RidleyGriff macrumors regular

I originally got an 880 a few years back. Loved it at first.. until the battery stopped making contact inside the unit. Ended up jamming a piece of paper into the battery compartment which worked for a while... Then the "up" volume button stopped working. Followed shortly by the unit refusing to charge at all (I believe it's an issue with the charging station's design).

My dad got an 880 about a year ago as well; within 8 months one of his channel buttons had stopped working and he was also unable to charge the unit.

I got a One this past December. The screen is slick as can be, the unit has great contacts for charging, and I've yet to have a single issue with it. For me personally, the touch screen is fantastic -- particularly when using things like the color buttons for the DirecTV.

Am personally a big fan of the One over the 880.

14. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Thanks for the heads up. That's a great price for that remote and the price you paid is still good. My original Harmony died a couple weeks ago and I've missed it! This will be quite an upgrade/replacement, for cheaper than I bought the original.