Is the hassle of AVCHD worth it?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by DoNoHarm, May 8, 2009.

1. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

I was wondering if those who use a camera with AVCHD could comment on the difficulty of working with the format and converting it in a mac. Do you wish you used a camera with a .mov encoding? I'm debating between getting a fuji tz7 and a cannon sx200 (or maybe even an sd780). Both shoot 720p video, but the Fuji has better image and audio quality as well as the cumersome AVCHD format. Anyone have an opinion?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

AVCHD isn't a problem on a Mac, since Apple editing programs (iMovie / Final Cut) convert AVCHD to AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec) upon import.

4. DoctorMacbook macrumors newbie

Yes but its 5 times the size and eats up your hard drive!!!

any solutions on what to do with the footage once edited?

can you convert back to AVCHD in an INEXPENSIVE way??

They happily sell us AVCHD 1080i videocams but you need hard drive space for all the footage!!! Macs dont edit AVCHD,,,, its reeeeeeeally annoying.

I shouldv got a PC

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could use Adobe Premiere Pro CS 4, which supports AVCHD natively, it is even available for Mac OS X.

FCP and Avid on the other hand, some small editing applications by the way, don't natively support AVCHD, as it is a con/prosumer codec, which uses .H264 as codec, a codec not meant for direct editing.

But what the hell...

6. harddriveowner macrumors member

Doctor MacBook,
    You shouldn't have gotten a PC. I just spent 3 hours trying to help out a friend with Windows Vista. Man is that a pathetic OS.

As far as your files: Just use Voltaic to convert the files until Apple gets it together and makes the import of the files into FCP as problem-less as it is for firewire camcorders. I have a state of the art brand new top of the line MacPro with 16 gigs of RAM and I still need to use Voltaic.

7. jammiefreerider macrumors regular

Yeah we are all waiting for FCS 3 to come out to make the whole process easier. I have not tried editing AVCHD in Premiere but with all the compression in AVCHD it means in the end the render times take so long that you may as well convert to AIC/ProRes. As for file size its HD so it will take up a lot of space. VoltAIC uses a variable bit rate so it will only be as high as it needs to be. External hard drives are so cheap at the moment that that really is not a problem.

The capture process is slow using VoltAIC but leave it overnight to do its thing and you will not find its not too bad. Once FCS3 and Snow Leopard is out then you will see the capture process fly.

8. DoNoHarm thread starter macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

any indication of when this will be? especially with windows 7 rumored to have better capabilities in this area.....

9. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Final Cut Studio should hopefully be announced either at or sometime after WWDC.

Im eager to see what apple pulls out of the bag on this one. But in the mean time I suggest in investing in more hard drive space to fit it all in. I mean you can never have too much hard drive space!

10. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I am currently using FCE to edit AVCHD files off of my HG20. Everything is okay, other than the huge AIC file sizes. I am waiting for the hopeful release of FCS 3, keeping fingers crossed for acvhd native editing! I'm looking at non-acvhd cameras as well, but haven't found one I like. I hope Nikon will release a 5d MkII contender..

11. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Has this happened yet? :confused: