Is the headphone jack meant to do this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JAVK, Jun 22, 2010.

1. JAVK macrumors newbie

I have a 13" 2010 MBP.

When my headphones are plugged into the jack, and no sound is being outputted, the headphone jack seems to "turn off". This is real anoying because if I want to do something that outputs a sound, like emptying the trash, there is a 3 second delay from when the trash is emptied to when the sound is played.

I just want to know if anyone else has experienced this? is it normal?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Emptying the trash sound may be delayed if it takes a few moments to empty it (if there are a lot of files); otherwise there should be no delay when the sound being played.

3. sadcamper macrumors regular

I've noticed that when something is playing through the speakers, and I plug the headphones in, there's a very short delay before it switches to "headphone mode" (or whatever)...there shouldn't be a delay when the sound output is already set to headphone though.

4. JAVK thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm ok.

For some reason my macbook pro disables the audiojack when not in use (ie. no sound being outputted), maybe its to save battery life or something?

Can someone else with a 2010 13" MBP see if this happens to them.

Cheers.

5. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

I can hear the audio circuitry turning on and off with my 2008 MBP (yeah, the circuitry is that crappy and noisy), so that is pretty standard.

But, I don't think it should take 3 seconds to kick in, it should be nearly instant.

I'd try a PRAM reset.

6. JAVK thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah when its quiet, I can hear the static of the "circuitry" turn off and on. :confused:

Also I was exagerating a bit when I said it takes 3 seconds, its probably only 1 second, but to me its definatly noticible. :mad:

So this happens in all of the MBP models then?

7. magamo macrumors 6502

My MB and MBP also behave the same way. The sound circuit or something automatically turns off when there's no sound for about 30 seconds or so, and white noise disappears. And when you make a sound, e.g., emptying the trash, the circuit turns on and makes sort of an electric-pop noise, which blocks the onset of the sound. If the "3 sec delay" refers to this, probably that's normal.

I think I read a thread or two about the circuit turning on/off somewhere on the internet, and it seemed every MB/MBP had the same issue. So I wouldn't be surprised if your new MBP also makes the same buzz.