Is the Hi Res worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kauai, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Kauai macrumors 6502a

After months of waiting for the new MBP's to come out, I'm finally about to pull the trigger. I'm almost certain I'll be going with the 2.2GHz top end 15" with 500GB HDD 7200RPM. Now the only choice for me to make is, HiRes or not?

Always having used PCs (and thus not had much customization, that is) I assumed it would make things look better. After all, in this day and age High Definition and High Resolution are the two big monikers. (I now understand those two things are different.) But after doing some research I've found out that most people don't buy HiRes because it makes the screen look better (although it may make things look sharper) but rather for more screen real estate.

I plan to make this computer last a few good years (considering I'm spending 2k+ on it!) so I'd really like to have what I can now and later down the line upgrade the parts when I've recovered from the purchase. Hence why I didn't go with a 15" low end and upgrade to a SSD.

What are your opinions on HiRes. Do you like it? Will it make things like games and non-HD content much smaller? Anything else I should know?

Thanks guys.

2. nygfan80 macrumors regular

I think your best bet is to go to an Apple store and find out for yourself. There are also a few YouTube video's but I am not sure it's going to exactly help you out. Hi-Res is not for everyone.

3. namtaB macrumors regular

I agree. Go to the store and check the screens.

4. innominato5090 macrumors 6502

innominato5090

I can't see any disadvantages: crisp images, more room for stuff, better multitasking.
    Really, it totally worth. It's not like the dispute between glossy and matte: if you can afford that, take it.

5. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

Bingo.

6. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

please do a search!! this has been asked so many times!

Answer: It is worth it to some people, while not worth it to others.

7. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Yes, it completely worth it! Picked up the 15" hires anti-glare 2.3GHz i7 last night. :D

What a machine!

8. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

9. SubaruNation555, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011

SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

Pros: more screen real-estate / better productivity, anti-gralre option available
    Cons: increased price, possible eye strain

As others have suggested, try to check one out in person. Good luck!

FYI, here is a comparison between a MBP running 1680x1050 vs 1440x900 so you can see how things are a bit smaller.

10. andrewface macrumors regular

andrewface

11. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Go to an Apple store and check both resolutions, is a matter of personal taste.

12. sandylp macrumors regular

sandylp

Well, the hiRes does have 36% more pixels, so I would think the more pixels, the better. :)

13. incongruity macrumors member

I was also worried about the difference. I went and checked out a high-res in person and it really didn't seem like it made it unusable in any way -- far from it, it felt HUGE yet readable.

Go check it out then order - you'll feel better and won't second guess your choice... (Now all I have to fret about is the choice of glossy vs. matte...but that's another discussion)

14. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

If this is mainly for gaming, some folks here said the low res will give you better frame rates. And I'm guessing with the heat being reported now, the extra power the hi res is craving will also make the machine have higher tempts. Those are the only cons I could think of.

15. fil3333 macrumors member

imo high resolution has just one downside which could be a dealbreaker!
    your question should be, is the content big enough to read for my eyes, f.e. the 'heading panel'...
    if you have no problem smaller lettering go for the high res....
    i know people who cant work on such high resolutions, for me its a no brainer to take the higher res.... :)

16. eaf7s macrumors regular

If the money isn't an issue, absolutely! No reason not to, really.

Although I prefer the portability of a 13" machine and there are no real options with the screen, so I tend to deal on the road and have an HD monitor at home for just a little more than the upgrade price would be anyway--and it's 22" too.

17. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

I like this Gizmodo (standard vs Hi Res) comparison. http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/05/macbook-pro-15-is-the-higher-resolution-screen-worth-it/

So I'd rather spend the BTO cash towards the SSD or even the 2.3GHz upgrade. I always opt for better gaming results anyway. After five minutes in front of the screen, I won't even think of the difference in hi res anyway. It'll only look "better" if I have both machines side by side in a store. And I don't think my eyes would appreciate smaller print while reading web pages. I'd love the hi res if I'm getting a 17" or if I'm doing heavy photoshop work to see the microscopic details and vividness of my photos. Otherwise, I'd be happier with 2.3GHz+SSD upgrade. And my gaming framerates would also thank me. :apple:

18. thirty7alpha macrumors member

thirty7alpha

Go with standard res (IMHO)

Having seen them both, there's no way I'd go with the high-res screen. The fonts are readable and the added screen real estate are undoubtedly nice, but it's just too much of an effort to see stuff (for me). I also don't like the look of adjusting things to a non-native (i.e. lower res) format. That looks really fuzzy and wrong. The current standard screen res is great for most people, including me. ;)

Again, someone said it before --- it's truly a personal decision. I can definitely see where some folks would love the high-res, but I'll just keep that $100 and buy some more RAM or good beer.

Cheers!

19. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

THIS!!!!! ^^

And it also cracks me up why the 13" camp is whining why there isn't a hi res option. I have the latest 13" MBA and the small print when reading the web for hours is not something I'm crazy about. Want hi res? I'd get a 17" or a big-a$$ external monitor instead of cramming it in miniature screens. It's okay for the 15" but imho, it should have came as a free option. I don't think I'd pay so I can strain my eyes :D. This is personal so cheers to those that paid and love their hi res.