Is the higher end 13 inch MBA worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MauerFan, May 28, 2012.

  1. MauerFan macrumors regular

    Mar 9, 2012
    My dad gets either a 15% or 20% discount on Apple products through work, so I'm wondering if I should get the higher end MBA. I'm probably going to wait until the refresh occurs, but if the only thing that the Air will get is a retina display I may get one sooner.
  2. MacDawg macrumors Core


    Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    Love my top of the line 13" MBA
    And I agree, a retina display really doesn't have much appeal to me
  3. robanga macrumors 68000


    Aug 25, 2007
    So worth it. Best thin notebook out there. You can always wait for the next thing and never buy anything :)
  4. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

    Apr 11, 2012
    It's worth it, but I would wait until after the refresh if I didn't need it right away.
  5. theSeb macrumors 604


    Aug 10, 2010
    Poole, England
    It really depends on what you intend to use it for. I love my top end 13", but I'll probably buy the slightly slower model the next time since I am realising that I don't need all of the CPU power on the go anyway.

    If it's your only computer, then I would recommend the top-end model.
  6. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

    Oct 9, 2007
    The difference in CPU power is fairly minimal, but I might have done it if I didn't have to also pay for the larger SSD. On the whole, I'd say the $300 difference isn't warranted.
  7. magpie maniac macrumors 6502

    magpie maniac

    Aug 24, 2007
    This past February, I bought a 1.8 i7 MBA with the 256 SSD and I give it a huge thumbs up. Since I use it as my primary machine, I wanted a little more juice so to speak. Of all the various iterations of Macs I've owned over the years, this one is probably my favorite of all. A nice balance of size, mobility, and power.
  8. MauerFan, May 28, 2012
    Last edited: May 28, 2012

    MauerFan thread starter macrumors regular

    Mar 9, 2012
    Yah, it'll be my only computer, and I'll be using it for college. I'm most likely going into economics.


    I guess it'd be different if a refresh wasn't a month or two away. I don't need it until August, but if one doesn't come out by mid July I will probably go with what's out now.
  9. KylePowers macrumors 68000


    Mar 5, 2011
    Definitely won't need a top end MBA if you're only majoring in economics.

    I'd say definitely go for 4GB of RAM, but skip the i7. 128GB vs 256GB is up to you. I'd still wait for the 2012 though, since if you don't like them, then you can get the 2011s for cheaper.

    2012's could not only bring retina, but definitely better CPU/GPU performance, possibly better battery life, definitely USB 3.0, possibly HD FaceTime... so if none of that interests you, just hold out until the 2011s drop in price.
  10. alphaod macrumors Core


    Feb 9, 2008
    It's worth it if it suits your needs.

    To me it would be worthless since I wouldn't have anything to do with the 13" MacBook Air.

Share This Page