Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Usually I like not too high of a resolution because I like the text big and icons big and stuff. Like for example, I think 1280 reso on my 13" is just nice and I don't need anymore. For example, when I connect my 13" to an external monitor, I only use 1600 reso, even though it can do 1920 reso. So do I need the higher resolutions on the 15"?

gofightlose

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2011
it sounds like you'll be perfectly happy with the regular resolution, which is still 1440x900. :)

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I thought about getting hi-rez on my new 15", but honestly, I don't like stuff on my screen to be too small either. More screen real estate is always welcomed, but not at the expense of ease on the eyes. For some people, it's no problem, for me, I'd rather stay at standard rez.

You sound like me, just get the standard rez and save the money too.

Miss Terri

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
US East Coast
I've been checking into this, and regular res on a 15" will make things almost the exact same size as they are now on your 13" (words and etc.). You will have more space of course.

The 15" regular res screen has just a few less ppi than the 13", but only a couple so it should look almost exactly the same. I think it's something like 111 on the 15" vs. 113 on the 13"

High res would give you more "real estate" but noticeably smaller system fonts and words.

I don't think either standard or high res are "recommended"; it depends on your personal preference. I like standard res; in fact, even on the 13" I kind of miss the fewer ppi from my old iBook. Just more comfortable when reading all day. But then other people would feel exactly the opposite. Neither of us is wrong :)

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
As you can see in the screenshot, the text is not that small. However, if you have no need for extra screen real estate, stick with the standard res.

SPEEDwithJJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
I agree with most of the other fellow members that the standard resolution screen probably works "best" for the OP. :)

OP, I hope the following link helps. Just ignore the glossy/anti-glare comparison but the standard res/high res comparison photos will give you a general idea about the differences on the amount of content that can fit the screen.

http://osxdaily.com/2010/04/16/new-macbook-pro-15-hi-res-screen-comparison/

Good luck. :)

allupons

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2010
I am trying to make a final decision in regards to higher res or standard 1440x900 for the 15". For the longest time I thought it was a no brainer to upgrade to get the higher dpi and added screen real estate to work with, but now I am second guessing whether it will end up instead being mostly inconvenient with overly small text and menus, etc. Trying to make a final decision sooner than later to place my order. My main uses are final cut, adobe cs 5, and some gaming like sc2. I look forward to the video of the higher res 15".

David-fr

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2008
Bay Area
I am trying to make a final decision in regards to higher res or standard 1440x900 for the 15". For the longest time I thought it was a no brainer to upgrade to get the higher dpi and added screen real estate to work with, but now I am second guessing whether it will end up instead being mostly inconvenient with overly small text and menus, etc. Trying to make a final decision sooner than later to place my order. My main uses are final cut, adobe cs 5, and some gaming like sc2. I look forward to the video of the higher res 15".

i'll post a video of my high res screen :D one min

Here is the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y24v3QmuUzk

Read XD

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
I'm not trying to be rude here, but let me be forthright....

You said you use the same resolution on an external monitor capable of more... well.. how big is that monitor - I'm guessing larger than 15..

If you think that's the right fit, then how could the same res on a smaller screen be the right fit? If you like the 1280, get the 1440 on the new machine.

ZZANG

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
Planet Cybertron
Different strokes for different folks.

I still think it's an overall travesty you have to pay for any resolution "upgrade." That being said I've always stuck with the standard... Meh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
I have to agree, you should have a choice.. especially when it comes to matte.

Most competitors in the PC world are offering a plethora of resolutions exceeding the apple standards.. and some of them when you pay the upgrade, you get an IPS screen.. and yet some more of them offer built in calibrators.

biyahero

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2011
I bought a Thinkpad that had a "native resolution" of 1900 X 1200 and I really HATED it.... well not the notebook but the screen resolution. The problem is with the kind of screen it has, if you set the resolution to less than the native resolution it doesn't look sharp, and at 1900 X 1200 everything is MUCH too small for my taste, so I end up using it with a 19" external CRT monitor at 1024 X 768. I really wish I had chosen a lower resolution screen when I configured it.

I can tolerate 1280 X 1024, but with either 1280 X 800 or 1280 X 768 the menus and text look distorted to me, and anything higher than 1280 is too small for my taste on a 19" external monitor.

So when I get my MacBook Pro I will not get the Hi-Def screen. One thing about the MacBook though... you can zoom the screen whenever you want to get a larger size easily, unlike the process you have to go through on a Windows machine to make it bigger.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
I do alot of photography stuff, and i HATE the glossy. I miss my Matte screen and I am hoping Apple will swap me for a Matte screen...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.