Is the Hinge Strong?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by appleguy123, Sep 5, 2011.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I want to use my MacBook Air 13" in bed with it propped up on my legs so that the screen is parallel to the ground. My 17" MacBook Pro's screen will slump down when I try this. Can you try it out on your MacBook Air for me?
    Thanks.

2. DieterRams macrumors regular

I think you mean perpendicular?

3. jsolares macrumors 6502a

nope, if you lay down and hold the mac so you have the screen over your head it will be parallel to the ground, the keyboard might be perpendicular tho.

4. DieterRams macrumors regular

Oh gotcha, I thought he meant while still sitting up so that the keyboard part is against his legs but the screen is perpendicular to the ground. But I guess he means while lying down? I just slightly tested this out on my 11" and it does actually hold, I'm a little surprised. Then again it's new, and I would think that it'll wear out over time.

5. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

It is more than definitely able to handle that. However, opening the screen all the way up, the last 10° or so it feels like it goes back with much less pressure. I think if I had a shell on it it would fall back at that point (which is unfortunate!)

PS: I have the 11".

6. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

without my snap case it does stay put along as I don't do any sudden movements, with my snap case on it does slope down.

7. JSalig macrumors 6502

I use my MBAs like that all the time and the screen holds up beautifully. No slump at all.

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

The 17in slumps down because the screen is heavy not the hinges fault.
    Besides I dont consider it saying weak since I never had it popped out before.
    Unless if you smash it with another Mac lol