Is the HV20 a once in a while excellent camcorder?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by dingdongbubble, Sep 9, 2007.

1. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

Ok you folks would be aware of some products which turn out to be very good and their successors usually are downgrades. Now I would like to know if you think that the Canon HV20 is one such product.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

From everything I've read the HV20 is a better camera than it's predecessor the HV10.

Lethal

3. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

this camera is excellent (saving for one at mo), not too sure about the 24p quality but all else is excellent.

4. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

The footage I've shot with my HV20 has been nothing short of amazing. Filming in 1080i and watching it on a 42" plasma is spectacular... it is a quality level I never thought possible in this price range.

That said.. I haven't used the HV10. It is currently priced at about $300 less than the HV20 but from the reviews I've read.. the HV20 has a better form factor, is easier to use and hold.. and shoots in the 24P mode (which I have yet been able to take advantage of).

If I had it to do over again.. I think I would have bought an HV10 first to run it through the paces.. then moved up to the HV20 if I wasn't happy. Either model you will love.. but the HV10 might save you a little bit without loosing any quality.

5. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

I too have an hv20. I honestly have no complaints with the video quality whatsoever. This is one of the best bangforyourbuck camcorders ever made! AFAIK the hv20 is better than the hv10 in every way.

6. kwong2006 macrumors regular

What about HC7? I want to know what you guys think.

7. bozigle macrumors regular

HV10 doesn't have mic input and the buildin mic is not the best ever.
    HV10 doesn't have 24p
    Despite knowing that and the price difference not being a big issue i still bought the HV10... why?
    because of its shape! This stuff is sooooooo small (not always easy to play with the buttons with my big fingers) and its vertical fit is ideal for extreme situations.
    That said, in the majority of the cases the hv20 should be better... but i would not trade my hv10

8. djhspawn macrumors member

9. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Hands down, the HV20 is amazing. I love mine, although I haven't used it very much, I can tell just by the test footage that this camcorder rock. It looks great and isn't awkward to hold like the HV10, but that's just me.

10. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Have it, love it.

Shot beautiful footage in Monterey and Napa, looks gorgeous - though had a hell of a wake-up call for editing HD on an iMac G5 (now I'm saving for a Mac Pro).