Is the HV20 ready for next version?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Artful Dodger, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Well I'm about to get one unless Canon is getting ready to update this great little unit. I say this because after waiting an extra month before getting one the price has dropped (as well as a rebate from Canon $100 off) and it's birth was (correct me if I'm wrong) January 2007. I really like what it offers but before taking the official plunge, I wouldn't mind seeing it's next of kin (as well as getting a better deal on the HV20) if at all possible ;)
    Are there any sites that have speculation or is this going to carry till mid 2008? I do check out camcorderinfo.com about once a week as well as ugh, cnet for updates and the like.

Side note: it is always eaiser to buy a Mac or software than an item like this without a second thought, for me anyway, oh well…

2. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

I can't really offer you any insight, but I'm also interested in this camcorder.

Where did you find the rebate?

3. Artful Dodger thread starter macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I found it on Amazon and sent Canon an e-mail just to see if it was only for them and the reply was: rebate for certified registered Canon vendors. I just have to call the local shop to see if it's for them as well since they are a registered Canon dealer/vender. The local shop offers an awesome 4yr warranty with all camcorders so I'd rather buy there, support local business since they offer a great price as well than buy from Amazon on this item.

4. KingofAwesome macrumors regular

5. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

6. davegreb macrumors newbie

davegreb

Unfortunately you probably won't see this camera. Take a look at this link:
    http://www.resellerratings.com/forum/t126868.html

If you do a search on google for this site, you'll soon realise why it's so cheap.

Use pricegrabber.com, shopper.com or pricerunner.com to find the best deal. Cheapest isn't always the best!

7. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Released in April 2007... Anyway, I'm no expert, but i don't think we'll see an update untill ~Sep. 2008

8. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I don't think it'll be that long. The HV10 came out Fall of '06 and the HV20 came out Spring of '07. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a new HV this spring.

Lethal

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I've seen a slew of new AVCHD and other HDD/SD based cams, but I haven't heard much news in the way of HDV lately. Eventually of course, they will go the way of VHS. In this age of accelerated technology, I think it will be sooner than later.

11. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

they better not, i just ordered one from b&h. they should halt production until im ready for another.

12. Artful Dodger thread starter macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

True, in time that will be the case to some extent but as I've talked to Lethal about this I need to have a miniDV for the sake of a master "tape/copy" for some clients. Once I no longer have a choice then so be it but as long as tape is around it will be mandatory for me. Also the money I can save I'll be buying FCE4 which will be very welcome in the long run :)

13. rotlex macrumors 6502a

I've thought about this recently when going BACK to an HDV cam from AVCHD, but brushed it off for a while. Almost any current pro level cam, and a few coming out down the pike, are using tape. It's still the best choice for quality, edit ability, and long term storage. I think it's going to be around for quite some time yet, regardless of where the consumer market looks likes it's heading.

I for one hope it doesn't go away until 10TB hard drives are under 100 bucks, LOL.

14. bloodycape macrumors 65816

10tb for the desktop or laptop? I say once 2TB comes out for the laptops its all good.

15. rotlex macrumors 6502a

Hehe, either actually. I guess I just found the amount of space required to store AVCHD footage to be ridiculous at this point. (Taking into consideration the RAW footage as well as the editable stuff).

At least with tape, I've got 13GB per hour for roughly 2 bucks and a very easy way to keep it off site, or in a fireproof box.

16. Artful Dodger thread starter macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

^^^^ That's just why I like the tape idea. I give the master to the client and two dvds then it's up to them to take care of the video and it doesn't take alot of space or make things complex for them either.
    So I'm hoping this week or next I'll be getting and using the HV20 for a lot of family functions during December…hope Santa appreciates me for getting my own gift lol :p

17. rotlex macrumors 6502a

LOL, same here actually....The HV20 was eh, uh, my "gift" to the family for the holidays. :D So far, I have been very pleased with the cam. The quality I can obtain without a whole lot of effort is astonishing to me. My wife tells me it looks better than "Discovery HD Theater". :D

My current workflow is basically shoot, capture, edit. Make a DVD copy for quick viewing on the TV, make some sort of compressed quick time copy for comp viewing, and maybe send the finished product back to tape if it's something really special.

All in all, the best money I have spent on a camcorder in the past years. I only wish I had found it sooner, and skipped the AVCHD based cams in between.

18. coil macrumors newbie

I'll through my two cents in. I teach video art and come from a cinema background. I insist on students leaning how to use focus creatively. All of the new crop of cheap cameras have either no manual focus, LCD touch-touch based manual focus or like a lot of cameras including the HV20 a little joystick to control the focus manually. I searched a long time looking for a small camera that was tape based and had a focus ring. I found it in the Panasonic PV GS550 No its not HDV but it produces some nice images and includes a focus ring.

19. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

Well, I went for it. Ordered from B&H. They've got a sweet deal running right now!

The cam is $799 after the Canon instant rebate, and then B&H throws in a training DVD (bleh) and a $150 gift card!

I needed an external HD to go with this guy, so it's a sweet deal. Plus no tax and free shipping.

20. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Question for Lethal:
    What is the format of tomorrow? A loaded question I know, but I have always been a tape man (currently on mini dv) and am looking to get an HD camcorder in the next year. I won't consider the straight to DVD ones, so it is the tapes again or the compressed AVCHD hard drive ones. Logic tells me that if the professional equipment is using tape then that is what I should go for in the 'prosumer' realm, but the hard drive ones are interesting (even though moving parts = early death...;) ) What are your thoughts or for that matter anyones thoughts on the future?

Thanks.

21. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Professional cameras are moving towards solid state storage now that the price/performance ratio is starting to make that practical and I think we'll see that trickle down into the consumer realm. Once solid state media gets inexpensive enough you can shoot to a card once and just put it on a shelf like you do tape now. Both shooting to miniDVDs and internal HDDs I think are just stop gaps (especially shooting to a HDD) that have more cons than pros, IMO. Tape may not be "sexy", but it's a proven technology and gives you a reliable back up on the spot.

Lethal

22. Artful Dodger thread starter macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

HV30 coming soon…

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=NewProductsAct&fcategoryid=102

Well I had a feeling about this hence my thread but I guess it was a good thing because I was unable to get a HV20 before Christmas :( Any way I'll be checking out the new one and if it's not "much" better the price on the HV20 should be awesome by then.

Thanks for the input from everyone thus far on the HV20 :)

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

24. Artful Dodger thread starter macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Didn't see that but thanks for the link. The local shop was out of them before Xmas so I've been waiting for the HV20. I'm not sure how the 30P will be since I don't have FCP so to get everything the HV30 will offer might not be worth the $$$ over the HV20 if the price drops even more. The most important things I need are good video, sound and extra battery capacity. Guess waiting was a good thing after all for me in more than one way ;)

25. prs986 macrumors regular

What program do you use? I know that you only need FCP for 24p material. I have FCE 3.5 and it handles 30p just fine.....just not 24p.