Is the i7 really a "quad-core"??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by olletsocmit, Oct 24, 2010.

1. olletsocmit macrumors 6502

olletsocmit

I currently have a new mid-2010 MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz. I really wish i had gotten the i7 now, but to late!

Is the new i7 really "quad core"? I have been hearing that both the i5 and i7 are dual core processors. I know they are both recognized as quad core by the computer (Excel recognizes mine as having 4 processors when doing calculations). Are they both recognized as quad b/c of the turbo boost feature? So my real question is what the dif in the i5 & i7 processors? is the i7 a true quad core? Is it worth me selling my current i5 2.4 and getting an i7?

2. Bdpmax macrumors newbie

They are dual core with hyper-threading (4 virtual cores).

3. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

being recognized as 'quad core' (which they aren't) is due to hyperthreading not turboboost. TB is about clockspeed, HT about virtual cores.

the i7 isn't that much faster then the i5. i doubt you wlll see much difference.

4. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

There are true quad core mobile i7s but Apple doesn't use them. The advantages over the dual core i7 are not as large as they may seem at first because they are about half a generation behind. Your dual core 2.4 i5 with HT is fine, you're not missing out on much.

5. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

i7 is quad core...

but the version apple uses in their comps are dual cores.