Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gregpod9

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2007
I bought the Asus N61JQ-X1 laptop a couple of months ago and I'm thinking of ebaying it because I'm not too mobile with it and I want to switch over to Mac. I might be purchasing the High-end 21.5 inch iMac with the i3 3.2 GHz CPU (I do not want the i5 upgrade for $200. I will use the extra $200 towards Windows 7). My Asus laptop has the following specs:
  1. Intel i7-720QM 1.6 GHz
  2. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 1GB Vram
  3. 16" LED Screen
  4. 320GB HDD
  5. 4 GB Ram 1066 MHz
  6. DVD Burner
  7. Windows 7 Premium
My question is should I get the iMac?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
You could just get an external monitor for it. You will lose money if you sell it now as it's basically new but on the other hand it isn't. The biggest loss in value is when you open the package. The iMac ain't an upgrade really. The ASUS has quad core CPU but lower clock speed so in some things it's faster while in some things it's slower. However, it has the same GPU with 1GB VRAM versus iMac's 512MB.

I would stick with it unless you really, really want a Mac for some reason

Tigerman82

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
I bought the Asus N61JQ-X1 laptop a couple of months ago and I'm thinking of ebaying it because I'm not too mobile with it and I want to switch over to Mac. I might be purchasing the High-end 21.5 inch iMac with the i3 3.2 GHz CPU (I do not want the i5 upgrade for $200. I will use the extra $200 towards Windows 7). My Asus laptop has the following specs:
  1. Intel i7-720QM 1.6 GHz
  2. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 1GB Vram
  3. 16" LED Screen
  4. 320GB HDD
  5. 4 GB Ram 1066 MHz
  6. DVD Burner
  7. Windows 7 Premium
My question is should I get the iMac?

I wouldn't unless you have problems with your laptop in terms of overheating or ergonomics, or unless you prefer OS X. I think the specs of the laptop are great and if you are a gamer than using Windows 7 is better anyway.

I'm writing this with my 17" DTR laptop. It's about three years old now and I have problems with overheating. I'm buying the high-end 21.5" iMac with i3 (27" model is an overkill). I do have to say that I like the ergonomics of a laptop screen over a screen like the iMac has. Before the design change the lower edge of the screen was higher up above the big Apple logo. Luckily the new design lowered the screen and now it is acceptable. Still, I've gotten kind of used to looking a bit downward when computing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.