Is the Imac Completly non-user upgradable

Discussion in 'iMac' started by RoastingPig, Oct 23, 2012.

1. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

Hey on recent sales of SSd's i copped me a 256 samsung 830 for 150 bucks on anticipation of putting it in my new 21 inch imac. that being said i dont wanna shell out money on a bto 256 ssd which will probably run me 350 bucks "aint nobody got time for that". is this new imac gonna be completely fort Knox or am i gonna be able to do this upgrade myself?

2. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

The 27" iMac has user-upgradeable RAM, but that's it.

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The previous iMacs also weren't technically user upgradeable as far as the hard drive goes, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't possible.

We'll have to wait until iFixit gets ahold of one and tries to take it apart. The screen may lift straight out with suction cups just like the previous gen.

4. RoastingPig thread starter macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

i do have an ifixit store down the street, i'll ask them when this thing comes out.

5. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

If the glass/display are held in by magnets like previous generations you'll be able to open it up.

6. dndlnx macrumors 6502

dndlnx

I am interested to see, since the glass is now 'laminated' to the LCD. Whether that makes a difference, I don't know...

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

In previous iMacs the glass lifted away and the screen stayed inside. I would guess with these new models that the glass and display will lift out together, probably attached by a delicate ribbon cable.

8. dndlnx macrumors 6502

dndlnx

On another note, could these new iMacs actually be better for user upgrades? There will be ZERO chance now of getting dust caught between the glass and LCD. :eek:

At least for an SSD or something?

9. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Yes .. but it will be more expensive for user to replace the whole panel when needed. Smudged and dirty panel is a common thing on previous gen iMacs.

Don't know if it would be solved by the new design. But one less replaceable component does not mean a good thing. Especially if you're out of warranty.

10. zoffdino macrumors member

Pure speculation here, but from Phil Schiller's picture in the keynote, the back will come out this time like the first iMac G5. The screen stays where it is.

Apple must have a way to get to the internal for service, etc. If the front is sealed, a process reportedly so hard that yield is way down there, the back must be the logical entry point. That is my hope.

11. RoastingPig thread starter macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

wait, does the entry level 21' Imac even have the BTO option of adding the 1TB fusion drive?

12. TrboMac macrumors regular

TrboMac

No, but the second level 21.5" does: http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/