Is the iMac g3 dalmatian edition rare?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by FurryFoxMacuser, Nov 25, 2011.

1. FurryFoxMacuser macrumors member

FurryFoxMacuser

I'm trying to get some ideas for Christmas done up and have always wanted one of these. I just wanted to know are they rare and what is a good price for them? I thought they might be rare since I never see any for sale, but idk. If they are rare then how rare? Are they the rarest iMac g3? Thanks.

-Dan

2. WGoins88 macrumors regular

As far as I know, they aren't worth any more than a regular iMac. I had one for a while until the flyback transformer went. I bought it for $10 and sold it for $30.

3. Hrududu, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011

Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I would say the Dalmatian and flower power iMacs are pretty rare now since they didn't sell for long and were a bit zany looking. Value for those is tough. Can't say they were unique enough to really have a following and use as a computer is pretty limited these days.

4. TheG5 macrumors newbie

5. FurryFoxMacuser thread starter macrumors member

FurryFoxMacuser

So would a seller refurbished dalmatian iMac be worth $138?

6. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Not at all. More like $20-35.

7. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

They're no different to the other G3 iMacs apart from they've got spots on 'em. I suppose though if you would want one as a collectors item, go for it! They're really rare now and in a few years you won't see any around. If you are planning on using it as a computer, I wouldn't recommend it as they're donkeys years old now and it'll probably die in a couple of years, tops. Hope this helps you decide, I have to say though, they're lovely looking machines :)

8. MAC MAN JW macrumors 6502

MAC MAN JW

I got that imac from that seller in oct. this year Link http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAP...&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123#ht_2181wt_1139 it is in like new shape and works 100% for a Collector (Some one somewhat like me) 138 is a ok $ but for The same Price you can get a G5 dual 1.8/2.0 Ghz. if you like The Blue Dalmation i will have to say this is the best working imac g3 i ever had:) and yes i think they are the rarest imac g3 :)

3.JPG

4.JPG

2.JPG

1.JPG

9. MAC MAN JW macrumors 6502

MAC MAN JW

For some one who just wants a imac G3 and does not care if it is a Blue Dalmation $138 is to Hi. for a collector $138 is a ok price being it is in like new shape:)

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Sorry. Gotta ask. Dalmatian iMac. You have it resting on newspaper according to your pics. Is it being housebroken? :)

11. FurryFoxMacuser thread starter macrumors member

FurryFoxMacuser

Thanks this helped me make my decision. I'm going to try to make an offer on one of the iMacs. It would definitely be just used as a collectors item if I got it. I've got my 2011 21.5" iMac for main use. I might use it here and there for iTunes but not too often.

----------

I am looking to get this for my collection of macs and it says seller refurbished. So, would I be getting a good deal?

----------

Oh, ok. This is the same seller I was looking at. Looks pretty good for $138. I'm just gonna go for it and get it. I just want to know, did the seller do a good job of packaging the machine? Thanks.

-Dan

12. MAC MAN JW, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011

MAC MAN JW macrumors 6502

MAC MAN JW

That is funny i did not even Think of that no accidents Yet!!:D

i just put it there to test it and i had to make room on my desk for it, now it is on my desk haveing a happy imac life:)

And the best thing is i sold my windows 7 laptop to get this. now i only have a $45 Windows Xp Dell 2350 i got from a thrift store that is my last Windows pc for ever win it dieds no more pcs i am counting down the days:D

13. MAC MAN JW, Nov 26, 2011

MAC MAN JW

Oh, ok. This is the same seller I was looking at. Looks pretty good for $138. I'm just gonna go for it and get it. I just want to know, did the seller do a good job of packaging the machine? Thanks.

-Dan[/QUOTE]

Yep!! it came in a big box with lots of bubble wrap (photo of it). i love takeing pics of unboxing:D

2.JPG

14. MAC MAN JW, Nov 26, 2011

MAC MAN JW

I am looking to get this for my collection of macs and it says seller refurbished. So, would I be getting a good deal?

if you are collecting macs and want one in good shape you pay for it:D. i got a $10 and a $26 imac g3 off ebay and bouth had a bad flyback transformer/PAV. My blue dalmation is very clean inside and no flyback transformer problbms that i see it Works %100:)

If you do get one please post pics:D

15. FurryFoxMacuser thread starter macrumors member

FurryFoxMacuser

If I do I'm gonna get pics and try to do and unboxing video. Don't know how the video will turn out since the only camera I can take it on is my iMacs camera but I'll give it a shot.:)

16. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

Even with a bad flyback/PAV you can still hook up an external monitor, cant you?

17. MAC MAN JW macrumors 6502

MAC MAN JW

i was not able to on mine it took out the down conveter bord as well so it wood not turn on that one was a 350mhz slot load (the $10 ebay one). :)

18. MAC MAN JW macrumors 6502

MAC MAN JW

That wood be cool :) i used a 2004 kodak digital cam to take the pics, i wanted to do a video as well but the cam batt. wood go dead in 1 min. and then i remeberd i have a webcam on my 2008 macbook. i might put it back in its box and give it to me as a xmas gift and then video tape it :D

19. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I'd like a Flower Power for myself. Oh, maybe I could get a regular model imac and decorate the coloured shell myself. I've seen it done on iBooks.

20. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

I have a pair of G3 iMacs, one is out of focus, and the other randomly chooses what color i wants to be. I have never bothered to ascertain what is wrong with them.

21. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Sorry but I think it's beyond silly to desire a computer just because of it's appearance. I understand aesthetics are a very Mac thing but you still need to compute with the damn thing.

The aesthetics before practicality thing doesn't work for me at all. Computers are tools first and foremost. It makes far more sense to just have high res pictures printed for your wall if you only really desire a computer for it's look.