Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2003
I was looking to get something for my kids basically for an internet station to keep them off my mini and my wifes macbook. Found someone selling this one and I was interested in it.

G3 iMac DV Graphite
500mHz
30gb HD
768mb ram
Works great, quick G3.

I do need to spend another $100 or so for the airport card and adapter, but otherwise is this a decent price for what Im getting?

Also, would a 3rd party usb wireless internet adapter work or not? Those can be had for pretty cheap, cheaper than airport + adapter anyway.

Thanks.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
That's a decent machine at a good price. I wouldn't go for any lower iMac.

If you can, run a wire to it from the router. More trouble, but less money and more reliable/speedy than wireless. If you must go Wireless, consider an external wireless access point that you cable to with Ethernet.

Remember this machine is USB 1.1...

Keep in mind that the analogboard on this machine will one day go "Poof" - it's inherent in all-in-one designs with the monitor, video circuits and power supply circuits all in one place. Keep it cool if you can.

If the monitor screen has any white lines running through it, or if the picture is fluctuating in size or wobbling on the screen, run away. That means the analog board will fail in the next few weeks.

adamyoshida

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
I was looking to get something for my kids basically for an internet station to keep them off my mini and my wifes macbook. Found someone selling this one and I was interested in it.

G3 iMac DV Graphite
500mHz
30gb HD
768mb ram
Works great, quick G3.

I do need to spend another $100 or so for the airport card and adapter, but otherwise is this a decent price for what Im getting?

Also, would a 3rd party usb wireless internet adapter work or not? Those can be had for pretty cheap, cheaper than airport + adapter anyway.

Thanks.

I'd say that's a great price. The ram alone (presumably one 512 chip and one 256) is worth $75ish.

And, yeah, there are some USB adapters that'll work. But I'll second the recommendation of getting a WAP and connecting it via Ethernet.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
As others have said, very good price since HD and RAM are up to snuff, and this is a slot-loading model with Firewire too (I believe.)

As far as USB internet adapters go, just make absolutely sure it is Mac compatible- check Amazon reviews, etc. I once bought a cheapo Wifi adapter from EBay that promised Mac support, but it didn't work.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.