Is the iMac MB420LL/A worth this price?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by J&JPolangin, Oct 28, 2009.

1. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

Our on base NEX has this top of the line prev gen model iMac for $1,496 and it used to be $2,199.

For the same $$ now you'd get a 21.5 inch iMac with similar specs for the RAM and HDD but you'd get the new BT keyboard and MM vs. the larger screen, more memory on the dedicated video card (how does the ATI card compare to the Nvidia card) and the fact that I'd have to wait until the NEX stocks them or use APO box (a re-shipper and that's too expensive).

Is this machine worth it or would you wait for Rev B of the new models of iMacs?

Thanks for any advise.

2. J&JPolangin thread starter macrumors 68030

...anyone?

By the lack of replies to views, I guess I should pass on this "deal"...and wait a few Rev's...

3. shadowbird423 macrumors regular

shadowbird423

Take the deal and run! Not only are you getting the same screen, memory, resolution, and processor, but you also get a better GPU (The Ati one is much better). Anyone is free to point out holes in my argument, by the way.

4. J&JPolangin thread starter macrumors 68030

...actually the 24" has the Nvidia 130 512 card vs the 21.5" with an ATi 256 card (which is what I was asking about)?...

5. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

That's a good price on a "new" 24". Its totally your decision, IMO. Which means more to you - bigger screen or newer design/kb/mouse? If I were in your shoes... I'd have to think about it... :D

6. shadowbird423 macrumors regular

shadowbird423

Oh, Im sorry, I assumed you were comparing the 9400 to the Ati card. I would say the Ati card is still better, though the difference isn't that much. I dont have either card though. Go with your gut on this, but if the old iMac is significantly cheaper, I would get it.

7. J&JPolangin thread starter macrumors 68030

...I picked one up as there were only 2 left out of a stack yesterday... now I have something to think about this weekend during the 14 day return policy...

I may have to relegate my "old" 20" iMac to TV server duty:D