Is the Incipio Frequency the iPhone 5 version of NGP?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by corey407woc, Sep 14, 2012.

1. corey407woc macrumors member

Loved the Incipio NGP case for iPhone 4/4S. I checked their website and this looks like the most similar to the previous version. Was debating this case or the Otterbox Commuter. Any thoughts?

2. BrandonZ macrumors 6502

I think so. In the description it says it's made of the same material. I'm probably gong to order one.

3. corey407woc thread starter macrumors member

just ordered it no tax is sweet and free shipping now ordering sgp screen protectors

4. crewpride macrumors member

Anyone know this material would compare to the speck pixelskin hd? I love that case for my 3, and I'm considering waiting for speck to update it, but if the frequency is made of essentially the same material I might spring for this one.

5. nickm81us macrumors member

nickm81us

I agree. I got a Speck Pixelskin for my iPhone 4 during Antennagate, and it stayed on my phone until the day I sold it (a few days ago, hehe). I loved that case. Not too intrusive, not too flashy, and easy enough to slide into a pocket (for normal use) or a holder (for work). Perfect.

6. crewpride macrumors member

Exactly! Not too big like otterbox cases, yet still protects really well. I've dropped it multiple times and never had an issues. Slides in and out of the pocket easily, and the lip over the screen gives it a perfect amount of separation when laid screen side down.

7. BrandonZ macrumors 6502

I had both and this material is better in my opinion. It never streched out but the pixelskin hd did. It stayed like new for almost two years.

8. crewpride macrumors member

Do they have a similar feel though? Rigid enough to protect, but soft button press and comfy in hand?

9. BrandonZ macrumors 6502

In my opinion yes. I much preferred the incipio

10. mobutt macrumors 6502

I had a pixelskin hd for my phoNe and just saw my friends ngp yesterday, material is pretty much the same, I like the design on the pixelskin though :p

11. Chromie macrumors member

Do you think they will have cases in the Apple store at launch?

12. Ethernaut05 macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 was one of Jobs last legends and thus and instant collectible for those that joined the Cult of Cupertino! One thing is fact; Jobs despised covers and or cases on his projects! From the first iPods to the first iPhone, Jobs enjoyed the art of the phone or iPod the way it was designed...scratches and all!

The 5 finally allows us to have his vision play out. Flush mounted Gorilla Glass 2, brushed aluminum case, and significantly lighter! Do you think setting it down repeatedly will scratch this glass? Will a slip from your hand onto the pavement shatter? These are yet to be determined. Also, I understand if your a mechanic or an iron worker, an Otterbox Defender is warranted! (although I believe Jobs would roll in his grave if he saw an Apple colleague with that case!)

Looking for the most minimal case I find myself really loving the Incipio Dualpro Shine for my black 5 (coming Friday) thought about bumpers too, but really love the Incipio. Check it out!? Also is the Feather shine..even LIGHTER! Looks like it will really complement the bad ass look of the Black phone. (I only wish there was an Apple logo cutout)
    http://https://www.incipio.com/index.php/cases/iphone-cases/iphone-5-cases/iphone-5-dualpro-shine-hard-shell-case-with-silicone-core.html

Look over those two with the newly trademarked "Plextonium" material! Lol! Love to hear your thoughts! Incipio usually ships all it's cases with screen protectors but these don't mention that?

13. globality macrumors member

I love NGP too. This is the same material but not the same design. I asked incipio and they said they would probably release an NGP case later.

14. crewpride macrumors member

I'd love to go caseless, but I'm still too worried about drops. Even with the metal back, I don't want it getting scratched up if it hits the pavement. And gorilla glass 2 or not, glass still shatters when it hits something hard enough. I didn't drop my iphone 4 very often, but every time it was on a hard surface, and having a case saved the damage.

Also, I like to charge my phone screen side down, because I have stupid cats that jump and walk on everything. Having a lip that prevents the screen from rubbing against my nightstand is a must. That's why I'm going back and forth between a bumper so I can still see the back metal, or the frequency. I'm just not sure of the quality of the bumper avail on amazon. At least I know Incipio/Speck etc are good brands.

15. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

I was going to order this case from mobilefun.co.uk when I noticed in the description "Vented pattern allows you to see your device". So that pattern on the back is actually holes?

No way do I want holes in my case. They gather dirt and the back of my 3GS was ruined by the Incase Perforated. Anyone know if they are holes?

16. Jmacman78 macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

I was thinking the same thing, but if you look at the pics of the blue and pink versions it doesn't look like holes...so I hope not. I don't want holes in the case either.

17. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

Yeah, I looked at the other colours and they like indents. Going to chance it and order it. I want my iPhone 5 in a case from day one and so far this looks the best.

18. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

Ordered one of these in black so I have something to use before I can find a translucent black feather type case.

19. Mos Jeff macrumors newbie

I also have the NGP for my iPhone 4, love it, and was looking for a similar case for my iPhone 5. Per incipios website it looks like the frequency is the closest to it, however after doing some searching on google I found this.

http://www.macmall.com/p/Incipio-Telephony/product~dpno~9381911~pdp.hjjifdc

I was pleased to find this, but remain a little skeptical since I don't see how this site can have an IP5 version of the NGP but incipio's own website doesn't, so I'm a little weary of ordering. Anyone have any thoughts on the reliability of this site as their prices are also much better.

20. zoiks66 macrumors newbie

I had an Incipio NGP case for my iPhone 4S and loved it. Tonight, I was at Best Buy, and they sell a Rocketfish Mobile "Soft Shell Case" for the "New iPhone". It's made from the same material as the NGP. I actually like this Rocketfish case better. The case has black edges with a matte, smoked, semi-clear back. I highly suggest checking out the Rocketfish case if you're a fan of the Incipio NGP case.

21. zoiks66 macrumors newbie

To add more information, here is a link to the case:
    http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=6423275&pid=1218734678025

The photo shows the back of the case being black in color, but it is really the same semi-transparent color as the NGP smoked case. The Apple logo on the back of the iPhone shows through the back of the case.

They also have a clear version of the case, but the clear version was made of slicker material that isn't as grippy as the black version of the case.
    http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=6424122&pid=1218734720902

Best Buy also had various other colors of the case. I think I remember seeing purple, blue, and orange.

22. jbimler macrumors regular

How does the Dualpro compare to the Otterbox commuter?

23. dhartung02 macrumors 6502

Id like to know this as well. I have been eyeing both....

24. Zeph79 macrumors newbie

Zeph79

I picked up the Frequency from my local ATT store and really love it. I wasnt expecting to see so many cases available day one! I had a Pixelskin HD on my 4S, and Freq seemed like a similar way to go.

My thoughts: The buttons all click easier than the HD, the case is more rigid and much less loose on the bottom, mute cutout is comfortable, the back design is flashy yet subtle and the shiny indents do not seem to collect dust or fingerprints, and the incipio logo is integrated well and does not stand out.

Unfortunately it cost $5 more from ATT and no screen shield or extras are included. Overall very happy.

25. beefdongle macrumors newbie

If anyone isn't aware, the NGP is listed on the Incipio site with the pink color in stock. Hopefully the black model will be available soon.

Checked out the rocketfish at best buy, almost pulled the trigger. Maybe another day without a case will push me over the edge.